Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Floppy Drive Doesn't Work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 megalo

megalo

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:06 PM

When i first built my system, i bought a floppy drive and installed it just in case i may ever need it. Well today i needed it and it doesn't work. When i insert a floppy then go to "my computer" in the start menu and click on the floppy drive ( the a: drive), an error window pops up telling me i should insert a floppy disk. I don't understand how or why this is happening, so any help would be very appreciated. thanks for the time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 11:37 PM

you could have a loose connection... sometimes the easiest of things are overlooked so... easily. hope this helps and happy holidays

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:53 PM

There have been problems reported between XP and floppy drives - I have one of them (exactly the same as yours).

What I did was to go out and get a USB floppy - it works just fine for me. I'm not even concerned if it'll boot from it - because I can always boot from a CD.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 megalo

megalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:52 PM

Say i do get a usb floppy drive, would I still be able to boot from it? If so, would I just have to change a certain BIOS setting?

#5 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:08 PM

Mate I had the same dramas with my Sony floppy drive. A question - does the light come on and stay on? When you insert a disk, does it make the access *click* straight away (like when you click on A:\ in the explorer)? If so, it is likely you have your IDE cable round the wrong way. My floppy drive had notches in both the top and bottom, so the only way to tell was by finding the arrow - there should be one on the left hand side, and line it up with either the arrow, or you may have a red wire down one side of the FDD IDE ribbon.... hope that helps.
And yes, you can boot from USB. For example, if your Ipod is plugged in to the PC and then you turn it on, it will try to boot from the Ipod and just freeze....Good luck.
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#6 megalo

megalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:18 PM

Thanks a lot jpharvey, your last post did it for me. the ide cable was just inserted wrong and now everything is working as it should. Thanks a bunch :thumbsup:

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:13 PM

This is a common problem because floppy cables aren't keyed so that you can't hook them up incorrectly. Some have a notch, but even finding pin 1 can be difficult. Also, I've seen a lot of failed floppy drives that seem to fail over time. They're awfully cheap. I've paid as little as six bucks for a new floppy drive.

#8 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:29 PM

The easiest way to remember how to hook up the floppy cable is this:

Look for the side of the ribbon with the red stripe painted on the edge. This indicates which side of the cable has pin/conductor #1 on it. The 'Pin 1" side always goes to the middle of the floppy drive. The unpainted edge of the cable always goe to near the outside of the back of the drive.

Also, if you are using a round cable instead of a ribbon type, pin #1 will be noted by a small triangle molded into the connector near one of the ends of the connector.

Another tip: Its easy to plug the connector in and "be off by one row", that is, push it on the pins such that two gold pins are showing on one of the sides of the mating connector on the floppy drive. Sometimes you can feel for this condition with your finger tips if you are not able to view the back of the drive straight on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users