Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Webcam not recognized, freezing, random shut downs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DelphicScorpion

DelphicScorpion

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:48 PM

Hello, please let me know if I'm in the wrong place or you need more information. I did read the pinned topics, and I hope I'm able to give a clear enough account of my problems, but by all means let me know if I don't.

I am on an HP Pavilion dv6000, Windows Vista 32-bit. Again, I'll give any other info you need.

A few months ago 3 problems started, probably around the same time. I didn't really take note of it when it started, thinking they were one-offs. Two weeks or so ago I took it into BestBuy and had the GeekSquad there look at it. They vaguely told me that there were 365+ "traces," and that it was multiplying any time the computer is on. (It has not, however, gotten any worse since then, and I've continued using it.) They wanted $200 to fix it and it would take days, they said. I don't have that much money to blow, so I'm prepared to save some files on my uncle's external hard drive and just completely wipe this laptop to factory settings. Hopefully though, someone will be able to help find another solution. The people at the store thought the webcam and shutting off problem were virus-related, but that the freezing was overheating. I think all three are virus-related, and I'll go more into each problem here:

--1. My laptop has a built in webcam. In the taskbar a bubble will pop up that tells me "This device can perform faster" and gives me USB 3.0 options, which I don't have, but basically it is treating my webcam like it's a USB flash drive that has a bad connection. Some days it will go in and out over and over. I didn't know what it was until I went into ManyCam, a webcam program, and it didn't list the webcam as a source, making me realize that my computer isn't recognizing it at all. Then, using the noise that sounds when a USB is connected/disconnected, I was able to find out that it will recognize the webcam only if the lid to the laptop is half way down. After going through scanning, etc (which I'll detail later), it worked briefly, but after rebooting or doing the next scan, I'm not sure which, the problem had come back, and is there now.

--2. Sometimes the laptop will shut itself down. Sometimes it just shuts off, others it reboots. Sometimes before this happens it makes noise and flashes quickly briefly. This could be wrong, but from what I can deduce from it happening to me, and to the other two people who use this laptop, it seems to happen most frequently when we have YouTube/Windows Media Player playing music at the same time as we are playing games, that I think are flash.

--3. When I leave the computer for some time, whether locked or just simply leave it on, maybe for an hour or two (it didn't happen when it was scanning, oddly, and only happens sometimes), it will just freeze. I can move the mouse, but can't click anything. It acts like it's loading, then just freezes. Now, BestBuy thought this was overheating, and I had thought it was the virus too, but agreed with them because the fan does get quite load, and the computer can get hot. But, recently I've been putting a book underneath the computer (a big school textbook) so that it can vent easier than just being on my bed (I am aware that that's bad for it, but I can usually tell, since the computer has a battery bump that's quite large, that it's getting enough ventilation most of the time), and that has made the whirring go down, but it froze at a time when the computer was almost completely silent and cool to the touch, which makes me think it's not from overheating.

Now, I have gone through the steps and scanned with Malwarebytes, ESET, Avast, Dr.Web, and HouseCall. Maybe one or two others as they were suggested along the way. Each time they came up with a few problems, I think up to 20 total in the past couple of days. I have Avast running in the taskbar currently (not scanning, just there, I guess). But these problems aren't being fixed. I still have the 3 issues. Someone said that the registry could be the problem, and that wiping it would be the only option. I'm fine with that, I plan to do that on Sunday if I can't get it fixed.

If you stuck around to read that whole thing, kudos to you, and I really hope someone can help.

Also, editing to add, there are Windows Updates that won't install. I'll have it install, then shut down, and when I boot it back up there they are again.

Edited by DelphicScorpion, 03 March 2011 - 03:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:47 AM

Have you considered...the possibility that your system is overheating?

Louis

#3 DelphicScorpion

DelphicScorpion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:47 PM

Did you even read it? Yes, the people I talked to about this thought that ONE of the problems was from overheating, the freezing problem, which I was inclined to agree with until later, it froze up the same way when the computer was completely cool and the fan was barely running at all.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:31 PM

Well...overheating can damage components...and that damage would not necessarily be reversed just by cooling.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users