Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Regarding Formatting, Backing Up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Punkbus

Punkbus

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 08:32 PM

quick question, if I create a system backup, save it to a cd(is this possible), reformat my hard drive, will I be able to load this backup and have it restored to how I had it(all files folders, hardware profiles, drivers ,everything) if not is there a way I can make a backup of everything, which i can restore after I format the hard drive

another question, is there a way to load the original device manager(maybe off my windows 98se cd) and all its default settings on my computer without formatting the hard drive-I basically want to restore the original setting for all my devices

thanks

Luke

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 09:46 PM

quick question, if I create a system backup, save it to a cd(is this possible), reformat my hard drive, will I be able to load this backup and have it restored to how I had it(all files folders, hardware profiles, drivers ,everything) if not is there a way I can make a backup of everything, which i can restore after I format the hard drive

another question, is there a way to load the original device manager(maybe off my windows 98se cd) and all its default settings on my computer without formatting the hard drive-I basically want to restore the original setting for all my devices

thanks

Luke

Firstly, y do a system backup when u are reformatting? Serves no purpose, instead, you shd be doing a file and folders backup.

Secondly, My recommendation is not to save it into a Disc, instead, do it in an external hard drives. Reason being user might not have known that there is a life span to disc and though its failure rate is proximately close to hundreds spins, it varies.

Thirdly, if you reallie need to do a system backup of all applications/programs etc..... there are many third party s/w available free in download.com but make sure it is compatible with your OS.

Lastly, you just need to do a windows repair! since u just wanna reload all original drivers.
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#3 Punkbus

Punkbus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:33 PM

i want to make a backup because, i want to check if I can fix a USB problem by formatting. and if not i can restore my current settings.

#4 Punkbus

Punkbus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:38 PM

also, how do I do a windows repair

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:46 PM

If you have a big primary hard drive you may have less problms by resizing your primary hard drive and puting your backup there. Make a second partition on the primary hard drive.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Punkbus

Punkbus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2005 - 11:04 PM

The one and only hard drive I have is 40 gig, ^ have you got a link to a tutorial on partitioning.

thanks

Edited by Punkbus, 20 December 2005 - 11:07 PM.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 11:27 PM

It's requires software like Partition Magic, or Digital Dolly. You CANNOT do it with any MicroSoft software. If you try you will lose all of your data.
The specialized programs will resize the primary partition (C:\) into a smaller partition. Then you create a second partition and format it. When you restart the computer you will have a second data drive. Your CD\DVD drives will be pushed back a letter. If your CD was D: now it will be E:.
Use the second partition to backup.
From what I gather from your POST you will not be happy with the results. You will be restoring the problems you are trying to get rid of.
Your real solution is to make the second partition and save your data, and any downloaded programs to the new partition. What I mean by thedownloaded programs is the file you download to install not the installed program.
Then format and reinstall Windows. If you really want to reduce your problems, ditch '98 and go with win2000 Pro, in FAT32 not NTFS. W2k has the look and feel of '98 but the security and reliablity of XP. XP Lite if you will. It takes far less resources than XP.
I know you did not ask but this would be a better solution.

Merry Christmas.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users