Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer beeps and flashes then freezes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mar201

mar201

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:01 AM

Its' probably the best way to describe it. it's happened twice in the space of about 2 months.
It happens when i'm moving emails from my inbox of btyahoo into a dedicated folder.

a box appears in the centre of the screen but flashes really quickly whilst at the same time the computer bleeps like a machine gun before then freezing.
The box just says that the computer is waiting for emails to load.

I then reboot and it's fine. (switch off from the cpu)

I'm just worried it's going to crash one of these days. I reckoned if I began some investigating now, I could hopefully prevent something catastrophic.

I have backed up relevant files using the back up tool in windows.

thanks for any guidance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:00 AM

http://www.google.com/search?q=It+happens+when+i%27m+moving+emails+from+my+inbox+of+btyahoo+into+a+dedicated+folder.%0D%0A%0D%0A&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-ContextMenu&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7ADFA_en

Seem to be a number of problems with BT Yahoo email. I would contact the ISP and/or visit the respective forum for BT customers.

Louis

#3 mar201

mar201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:27 PM

http://www.google.com/search?q=It+happens+when+i%27m+moving+emails+from+my+inbox+of+btyahoo+into+a+dedicated+folder.%0D%0A%0D%0A&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-ContextMenu&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7ADFA_en

Seem to be a number of problems with BT Yahoo email. I would contact the ISP and/or visit the respective forum for BT customers.

Louis

I think my problem is slightly different. I have never used outlook or outlook express and it's not configured on my pc. I only ever use webmail because i don't want to burden my computer with downloading mail.

I have never lost email with bt yahoo. it's was just my madly bleeping and then freezing computer (that i had to reboot) worried me.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:39 PM

<<It happens when i'm moving emails from my inbox of btyahoo into a dedicated folder.>>

That's your quote...that's what I saw in some of the posts I linked to.

But, if you say it's not relevant...it's your system :).

Generally speaking...anytime a booted system makes a beeping sound after the user has entered Windows...I would interpret that as a warning that the system is overheating. That's my limited experience.

Ditto for freezing.

A second possibility...I guess...could be malware.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 March 2011 - 04:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users