Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashing for no apparent reason

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Samboy

Samboy

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:51 AM

G'day,

Starting today my computer has been randomly turning itself off, although running lights are still on, and the computer sounds as if it is still running normally.

Essentially what happens is that it crashes out, the monitor says input signal lost and then nothing happens. First two times it crashed whilst using Photoshop. Third time I installed a program to monitor the HDD temp. It was running just over 40c when it crashed again (had a low end game running to see if the HDD temp would rise). I waited 30 min before turning the computer on each time.

Opened the case to check for any build up of dust, it seemed fine.

Edit: I have also checked that all the cables are plugged in correctly.
Also definitely something wrong, because holding down the power button didn't turn it off. Had to turn the computer off by the switch at the back of the computer.

System:
Windows 7 64
4 GB RAM
2.8GHz Quad core
500GB Seagate HDD

Only thing new with the comp today was updating Microsoft.Net framework, a few hours before the first time it crashed. No idea if that is related or not.

Thanks for all help in advance,

Sam.

Edited by Samboy, 03 March 2011 - 12:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:55 AM

EXACTLY what happens after the display says it has lost its signal? This sounds more like the system is going into power saving mode than "crashing".

#3 Samboy

Samboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:33 PM

Definitely not going into powersaving mode, unfortunately. Problem has become progressively worse, to the point it crashes after 20-30 seconds (regardless if I'm in BIOS or loading into windows). Definitely not overheating either. Now it powers off completely, instead of pseudo-shutting down when the computer was still running.

I'm under the impression that it is hardware related, given that it crashes in BIOS as well. Not sure exactly what part is malfunctioning though.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Samboy, 03 March 2011 - 01:34 PM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:26 PM

Most likely causes would probably be power supply, motherboard, ram, or processor. Do you have a spare power supply you can try?

#5 Samboy

Samboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

Cheers,

No I don't but I'll go buy another and find out.

Thanks for the help,

Sam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users