Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Problem?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dschc78

dschc78

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:43 PM

Below is a link to a picture of the problem I have. I think it has something to do with my video card (I have a Radeon 9800). I tried it with two different monitors and it still does it so I assume thats not the cause. I downloaded this from ati https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default...ge&folderID=293 but it hasn't solved the problem. Does anyone know what is causing this problem?

Heres what my computer is doing. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/dschc78/problem.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:55 PM

I wonder if a clue is in the pattern?

I look at it and think two things, screen resolution or poor connection physically at PC for monitor.

The .jpg kinda indicates real low screen resolution, the lowest I'm familiar with is 400 some oddx600, and the Radeon might be able to provide variables of screen resolution other than typical.

Check your basic display settings, the "display wizard" at your desktop context menu/preference/settings.

Check the same using the radeon software.

Try re-installing the vid card?
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 07:00 PM

You have either the wrong drivers or the refresh rate maybe to high. My bet is on the wrong drivers.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 07:15 PM

as above, reinstall your drivers or better still get updated ones. Does this happen only at the logon screen or is it the same after you logon?

#5 dschc78

dschc78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2005 - 08:07 PM

It is somewhat random. Sometmes on start up it will do it. Sometimes it won't do it till after I log in. I've also seen it be fine then all of a sudden start to do it. Just tried different refresh rates and screen resolution still the same.

I know almost nothing of a computer's hardware, I thought that link I had was the updated drivers?

Edited by dschc78, 20 December 2005 - 08:17 PM.

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 08:29 PM

Are you familiar with the device manager in administrative tools>computer management?
You can view the current specifics re: the vid card there,
and request update drivers ...but you'll need to get specific about which one(s) you need.

I haven't done a lot of updating drivers myself, perhaps additionaladvice will be forthcoming.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:04 PM

You could also be having a heat problem with your card. Check and see if your fan is working on your video card.

#8 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 11:39 PM

If it does this at a cold boot, then it can't be the fan. But just to be sure check it. Never can be too sure.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#9 dschc78

dschc78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:37 AM

Had my comp shut off for over 12 hours then it still did it. So how do I go about uninstalling my drivers and where do I get the new ones? Is that ATI control center considered a driver?

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 01:48 PM

Drivers

#11 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 01:57 PM

Do you see any abnormal colors when booting into xp? Like when it says windows xp and the little green bar is scrolling, anything there?If so youve got a defective card.

#12 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 07:34 PM

Something that just sprang to mind. I use to have a problem which was also very random, i would get a greenish yellow haze appear, well when i say haze, it basically put a tint to all the colors on the screen. I tried everything to make it go and normally it would just disappear on it's own.

In the end it turned out to be (as Phawgg mentioned above) a bad connection from my monitor to my video card. When it happened, if i reached round to the back of the computer and played with the wire to the monitor (about 2 inches from the VGA connector on the vid card) it would disappear. Shame was i had a cheap monitor at the time and it had a built in cable so i had to buy a new monitor!

I know your problem has probably nothing to do with the VGA/DVI cable but it dosen't hurt to check, plus check that there are no other wires interferring with the monitor or it's cable (like a speaker wire, router, power cable etc.). Then check the obvious, re-seat the vid card, check the VGA/DVI plug is connected to the vid card properly and any other visual checks you can think of. If after that you still find nothing, then it's either faulty hardware or most probably a software problem.

Sorry i can't be more help,
Chief.

#13 dschc78

dschc78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:33 PM

I've seen it be abnormal sometimes when windows is booting but not always. What confused be about this problem is I hadn't downloaded anything or even touched my computer. I booted it up and was playing a game and all of a sudden it started.

Chief I just took your advice and wiggled where my monitor connects with my computer and nothing happened but the whole card moved. Then I noticed that the lines on my screen stopped moving. So I changed by background and they were gone. It seems to have worked for the time being I'm going to let my computer run for a bit and see what happens.

*edit* Doing it again but I picked up on the wire and the card moved up some in my tower then I did the background thing again and its gone.

Edited by dschc78, 21 December 2005 - 08:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users