Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blinking Cursor Upon Start Up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JUSTJRDN

JUSTJRDN

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:18 PM

A little over a month ago my laptop became infected with a couple trojans..after that I was unable to boot as it would stop at a blinking cursor when starting up. Since then I have been using Hiren's boot cd to boot and was able to clean everything up so my laptop has been running fine for the most part. The only thing is that the blinking issue is still present. How would I go about fixing this? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JUSTJRDN

JUSTJRDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:34 PM

bumping to hopefully get some views..

#3 JUSTJRDN

JUSTJRDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:49 PM

bump again..?

#4 river58

river58

• Banned Spammer
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:09 PM

this is from yahoo answers:
I was speaking to a neighbour the other day, who was complaining that his Windows cursor was blinking faster than a billboard in front of a hotel in Vegas. He asked me if I could give him a hand in sorting it out so I headed over to his house.

I actually went down the wrong route first, I thought I would fine something under the Mouse settings in Control Panel; but the Cursor Blink Rate isn’t there; it’s under the Keyboard settings. So here’s how to change the setting:

1.Open Control Panel
2.Click on Keyboard Properties
3.At the bottom of the dialog box, you’ll find a slider labeled Cursor Blink Rate.
4.Just drag the slider along to the left and the situation should improve.

Firefox - The Blinking Cursor Problem

Recently I was reinstalling Firefox, because I was trying to check if reinstalling it is going to ruin my profile (like it did last time) or not. After all that was done and I opened up Firefox and went to browse around I noticed that the cursor started blinking on the screen.

Now, since I've played around quite a bit with Firefox, I didn't panic because I instantly knew that it was a feature called 'caret browsing'. The main reason that Firefox has this feature is that you can select text with your keyboard.

If you want to get rid of this the solution is simple... press F7 (or read the stuff below if you are on a mac and your F7 key is mapped to something else.. if you press F7 it should work on your mac too but just in case it doesn't)! And if you want to turn it on again then you need to do the same as well. So now when you see blinking cursors on the screen when you are browsing through web pages don't freak out... it's just caret browsing.

Oh and as Long Island Nurse points out, pressing F7 isn't the only way. You can also type in "about:config" in the address bar and then type in "caret" in the filter box and simply double click to change the option from "true" (which means turn on caret browsing) to "false" (which means turn off caret browsing).

If these don't work try restating your computer
Source(s):
http://askowen.info/2008/02/how-do-i-cha

http://beyondteck.blogspot.com/2006/05/f

Go to google type in My Mouse Cursor is Blinking?

* 2 years ago

Edited by river58, 04 March 2011 - 03:11 PM.

#5 JUSTJRDN

JUSTJRDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:37 PM

It's actually a blinking cursor that comes after the Toshiba splash screen..thanks for the help though

fixed it.

Edited by JUSTJRDN, 04 March 2011 - 04:04 PM.

#6 river58

river58

• Banned Spammer
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:14 PM

howd you fix it?

#7 JUSTJRDN

JUSTJRDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members