Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dialup Modems?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 04:59 PM

To Anyone that can help with this,

Well I think I'm back with a question that I've asked before but here it goes anyhow. I have a LexMark X1150 copier, a cheap thing but none the less I'm trying to get it to send a fax. I've done it once before but quit a while ago. So I'm getting "Modem Management Disabled, Transmissions Cancelled, No device Connected", when trying to fax on it. Now I'm using a DSL/LAN 1.5 MB connection to the Internet on XP and I've had no dialup modem software on my PC for quit a while and this copier is kind of inexpensive and 'older'. So I'm wondering if it needs a dialup modem on here in order to work properly. Can anyone verify that one way o the other? Is that what I need? If so where do I find a dialup modem to put on here? The only thing I've come across is having to go through an ISP to get one. Is that the case? I thought there was a different way. Anyone that may be able to enlighten me about this, where to get one, etc. I'd really appreciate your help on this. I needed to fax a while ago. Thank you.

Sincerely,

John :thumbsup:

Edited by Johnz414, 20 December 2005 - 05:01 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:13 PM

Hi, John

I have a similar cheap thing, Lexmark x5150.

I haven't even tried to use it to fax.

I will play a bit with it now that you mention it.

As for the dialup modem, it is a small card available at a PC store.

Better yet, a used PC store if there is one near you. They sell fairly well in such places, at/near $10.00-$15.00. I've seen 'em atBestBuyfor as much as $45.00, though. Check online, too.
New Egg should provide you with info.

Try to get one that is v9.2 (a recent type with fax capability)

Yeah, I do remember some dialup modems are not capable of utilizing the fax software apps, I guess.

You'll find these cards at used PC stores (or PC salvage/recycling centers) are typically new, but like I say relatively cheap. One I bought was made by Chaintech, for what's worth. It does work well for what I've used it for. Drivers load from an enclosed CD, and no particular conflicts other than initially loading the drivers can bring up the new hardware wizard which can interfere somewhat with the install as calculated to be ideally done on CD insert. Instructions typically provide for alternate install methods,should you encounter problems. Basically, be prepared to uninstall/re-install the drivers a time or two. Maybe you'll be luckier. I have no conflict with any windows updates, and the device is a 2003 issue, btw.

I'll check back in a while after trying my own fax.

I don't know if they actually depend on a dialup modem, also.
I wouldn't think so.

Try the Lexmark site. They are fairly good there about FAQ and such.

Google froogle for local business, new egg or others for comparisons and Lexmark USA, let us know what you find, also, OK?

One more thing ... not sure you are accustomed to "cracking the case" on your PC.

The card will insert on the PCI slot (that makes it a PCI card).
Physically it measures a few inches wide of green circuit board material, and will typically mount like others you will see inside, the lil' board perpendicular to the mainboard. The pins of the "plugin" part
should only fit certain spots on your mainboard ... that'll be covered in the instructions.
The power should be off, remember, when you open the case to install the hardware.
Avoid static by grounding yourself before you do anything other than look at the insides.
Touch the metal part of the case or chassis, then avoid static generating motions as you do the job.

Or maybe an ISP can steer you in the right directionusing standard dsl equipment/software and save you all that.

Edited by phawgg, 20 December 2005 - 06:30 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:24 PM

I looked up the specs on your Lexmark X1150 Copier/Printer/Scanner/PC Faxing, and you will need a functioning modem connected to a tlephone line to fax.
The are about $40 at Walmart and $10 to $15 at the local used computer stores. A new modem will top out at 53kbs (FCC legal limit) but you can use a modem (used) as low as 14kbs since that is the standard limit for a fax machine.
A modem is not a bad thing in case your DSL goes down. Most DSL/Cable ISPs have a dialup fall back in case the system goes down.
You may have to reinstall the Lexmark software to get it to work once you have installed the modem.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:28 PM

Modem /free shipping

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:33 PM

yeah, that's a good one. :thumbsup:

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:55 PM

I love that site. Been using it for years.

#7 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 05:31 PM

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for the replies. However, I think I wasn't real clear with my grammar. I think that my computer has everything on it for faxing. Though I primarily use DSL/LAN, I think there is hardware for dialup on here. It's the software for dialup that I haven't used in a long while. By referring to what I'm using is inexpensive I meant the copier. The PC I think has everything on it. I have used this same PC for the 'one' fax that I did send quit a while back. I have done a few total reinstalls sense then and I do have a filter for the DSL/LAN and phone lines both of which do run through the PC. I have even just reinstalled the software for the copier and I'm still getting the same response: "Modem Management Disabled, Transmissions Cancelled, No device Connected" and "Communications Port Unavailable". This second message I didn't include in the last post though so maybe that will give someone an idea on what's going on here. I've gone through everything I can think of, found where to put the dialup modem software on here and put a few of them on here and yet I still get the same response, "Modem Management Disabled, Transmissions Cancelled, No device Connected" and "Communications Port Unavailable". I haven't figured out what to do about this second message, maybe one of you do. Anyhow, here is also what the vendor said about it:

"Dear John,

Thanks for using our electronic support to assist you with this issue.

BVRP Fax Tools will not work directly through a DSL modem; it will only work through an analog fax modem. If you have both an analog fax modem and a DSL modem, you will be able to run the Fax Tools.

If you have DSL, but you want to run BVRP through your analog modem, you need a digital filter on the phone line that is connected to the analog modem.

Note: Failure to use a digital filter could damage your modem. These filters are available from the company that set up your DSL."

That's basically everything pertaining to my issue. I have the filter with both the DSL/LAN and phone lines running to the PC. Everything that I know of is how it was the last time I faxed so if you have any other ideas about what it might be such as what to do about the message "Communications Port Unavailable". before I start thinking 'time for total reinstall again' I'd appreciate hearing them. For instance, phawqq if you actually got to figuring out how to do this from getting yours to work that might give the answers. Anything else before I have to think total reinstall would be great. Thanks guys.

Sincerely,

PS Actually, I think it could be my Windows OneCare FireWall that I just put on here recently. I'll let you know what I find.

Edited by Johnz414, 21 December 2005 - 09:52 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 09:52 PM

The message "Communications Port Unavailable" sounds like an IRQ conflict or the Comm port is tied up by another device. Check you Device Manager to see if there is a conflict with the modem.
Have you installed another device since the last time you faxed?
The software that drivers your copier feature may be tied thru the fax feature since the scanner is used for both.
Have you tried to fax since the copier went off line?

#9 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:25 PM

Hi acklan,

Thank you for responding to the post again. I have checked device manager and there was a "?" at the modem icon, there for a long time. I then tried adding a PCI Modem from an update list on the device manager. There were three modems there all of which claimed that there was no hardware on the PC for them to work. But I'm sure there must be a dialup modem on here, in fact I think I remember the person that made it (it's a custom PC) say there is, heck I was first using dialup when I got this PC. I'll have to call him next if I can't find any resolution here. But anyhow, once I put the PCI Modem on the other two "Standard Modems" that I found and put on my PC through the faxing software magically appeared on the device manager. So I took the PCI Modem off sense it said that there was no hardware for it thinking the other "Standard Modems" might just work them selves. NO LUCK. Notto, still exact same response, "Communications Port Unavailable" and everything else that it said before. I also checked to see if it was MS new Firewall and anyother anti program I have running by shutting them down, no effect there either.
I haven't put anything new on here sense the last time I faxed. I have done a few total reinstalls. Everything else seems to be working and better after the reinstalls. As far as a conflict with the port, the fax software I've used comes with the copier. I have also tried MS's fax software, same result. I may have moved the copier and other cords around a while back. If I could only remember why I moved them around? Let me take a look.
Oh, guess what, possibly fool me, I may have put a surge protector on here sense the last fax. It is kind of recent. I may have put it on here sense the last fax. It takes a USB connection to monitor it. Do you think that would cause a problem. That is when I switched USB cords around now that I remember. I can take it off and see what happens. I'm not familiar enough to know exactly what causes what here, give me a little time though. Like I have know idea what a IRC exactly is let alone it's conflict. So if any of this enlightens you as to what might be going on here I'd love to hear your remarks. All I can think to do now is unplug the surge protected USB and try faxing again? So I'd love to hear your pointers. Thanks and Happy Holidays.

John

Albert Einstein.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:36 PM

Unless you have a bad surge protector I doubt that is the problem. I DON"T like USB. It never works as advertised for me. IRQ not IRC :thumbsup: . IRQ is a setting that allows hardware to have a path to the computer. You cannot share Irks. Now with that said USB will share an IRQ with other devices. It makes nnnooo since.
Try changing the modem to a different PCI slot. Try all of them.
Go to the Device Manager and delete (remove) all of the listed modems. Hopefully only the one installed will reinstall when you restart your computer.
Before the internet you should have seen the hair pulling trying to get 4 modems manually configured. Plug 'n Play did not even exsist. A whole lot of :flowers: going on and an occasional :trumpet: .
Hang in there and if I can't get it fixed someone else will jump in and help.

Merry Christmas.

FYI:IRC= Internet Relay Chat. It is the type of Chat room we have here at BC.

Edited by acklan, 22 December 2005 - 08:04 PM.

#11 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:55 PM

I have the same BVRP software.
Seems I'm ready to fax but for one little tiny detail ... I don't know of a fax machine to send to. :thumbsup:
One that I can experiment with, that is. Not my doctor's office, in other words. :flowers:

I've recently spent similar time-wasting efforts into a cheap (free if ya'answer a mortgage survey) digital camera that sometimes works, and other times I get the non-recognition thing. USB connection. I've tried all available USB ports, a multiplicity of times and still haven't narrowed it down to what works and what doesn't.
I won't tell ya how many times I've used my heretofor adequate "scientific" disciplines to track it down. Exasperating to the point I'll be buying another one soon enough and applying what I've learned in two ways.

1. Using the ARCSOFT software that came with it to see if it works with another digicam (I'm now quite familar with that software)
2. Installing whatever software comes with the new one in a very careful manner to determine exactly what occurs correctly, or not.

Until that time, I'm left with an open invitation to anyone who wants to help ... I need a fax number.

Still thinking about your problem, Johnz414

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users