Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer beeps

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wolfsaiga

wolfsaiga

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:42 PM

Well to start off if this helps i download alcohol 120% recently and mounted a game i got from my cousin, virtua tennis 2009. incase somebody start telling me that i shouldn't do anything illegal. i have the disk and im pretty sure i still got the reciept but the disc is all scratched up. well after 2 days of playing this game. i hit backspace once and my computer kicked me out of the game and then i would go to the lock screen and when i sign on again i would get sent back to the lock screen. then i did a manual shut down on my laptop. then after the first screen i would get a continuous beep. so i took out my battery and left it unplugged for 5 minutes and start it up again after that and everything seems fine until i hit backspace and then either my computer keeps hitting 3's or its scrolls up or down on everything and i my keyboard is locked and i can't use it. the number lock light is on. i used rkill and scanned for viruses but i got nothing. any help would be appreciated. o yea after it glitches up and i end up restarting the computer it would beep continously and i would do the same thing again. its hard using a computer without a keyboard and thats the only way to avoid all of this.

Edited by hamluis, 04 March 2011 - 05:30 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wolfsaiga

wolfsaiga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:08 PM

well to start off, i have a toshiba satellite L505-s5984.

recently my computer would not boot and had infinitely long repeating beeps of the same rate. i did some researching and found that it means bad ram, or can't properly read ram. so i decided to reseat my ram.

but now its basically dead. i turn on my computer and everything starts(fan, disc drive, the speaketd, and keyboard)except for the screen or most likely it wont even begin to boot. When i reseated my ram i hooked up my esd wrist strap but forgot to wear it. so im hoping the failure is most likely ram failure than mobo failure. thanks to anyone who helps.

EDIT: Merged separate posts, same system ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 04 March 2011 - 05:29 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:27 PM

<<When i reseated my ram i hooked up my esd wrist strap but forgot to wear it. so im hoping the failure is most likely ram failure than mobo failure.>>

I would not worry about the lack of said strap, as long as you were careful :). I bought one of those back in 1997, used it one time until I read an article about grounding myself as an alternative. I haven't shorted anything yet and it's been 14 years with plenty of fiddling around with motherboards, connections, RAM inside the computer case.

"Since all standard AC wiring includes a common ground, you used to be able to ground yourself by touching the case of your PC while it was switched off but still plugged into the wall outlet. However, since today's PCs have voltage flowing through their motherboards whenever they're plugged in (5 volts direct current are used for switching the PC on and off), it's all too easy to accidentally short something and zap your motherboard, without static being involved at all. That's why it's essential that PCs be unplugged when you work with them." Per http://www.pcworld.com/article/82184/avoid_static_damage_to_your_pc.html .

Louis

#4 wolfsaiga

wolfsaiga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:47 AM

well to update on some test, for some reason it the screen comes on now, i took out the both ram chips and the computer won't boot, but if i put in 1 ram or 2 in various combinations after the first screen it starts to beep repeatedly in a 1-1-1-1 infinite loop. so i drew out that its for sure not a monitor problem. also thanks for the tip, i still am not sure if i fried the ram or not. i know you can ground yourself without using a wrist band, but i was relying on the wrist band so i did not ground myself at all and i think i accidently split the power cable(2 piece cable) so there goes for any chance of grounding myself either way.

Edited by wolfsaiga, 07 March 2011 - 03:47 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:07 PM

Well...what does your owner's manual...indicate that the beeps mean?

That failing...you need to take note of your BIOS (initial onscreen information when booting) and see if you can a match, using the list following.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic95391.html

I cannot find any useful info on the Toshiba website. Perhaps they don't think that BIOS beeps are important...or it's determined by the type of BIOS you have. I don't know.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users