Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Hard Drive Space Help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Klindstadt

Klindstadt

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 04:38 PM

Hello
I have a IBM Thinkpad laptop with a 33gb hard drive when I check the properties of the drive it says that 31 gb is full and 2 gb free, I went thru the drive and deleted all the music and video files to free up space now I have 3 gb free and 30 gb full, I opened windows explorer an added up the size of all the programs and folders including the windows folder in the C: drive, the total is about 13 gb I can not figure out where the other 17gb of used space is, any ideas where all this used space can be. I ran a disk cleanup, emptied the recycle bin, removed temp files, and ran the defragmenter please help me Thank you
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2005 - 05:01 PM

Some of that is taken up by xp's virtual memory, but shouldn't be 17 gig worth.

There is a nice little freeware program, jdiskreport, that will give a break down all the files on your hard drive, you might want to try it and see what you find.

http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskreport/

Also, it might be worth looking into a larger hard drive, 60 gig laptop drives are $100-120 or so and not too difficult to get installed and have your os, programs, files moved over.

#3 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 09:29 PM

Hello
I have a IBM Thinkpad laptop with a 33gb hard drive when I check the properties of the drive it says that 31 gb is full and 2 gb free, I went thru the drive and deleted all the music and video files to free up space now I have 3 gb free and 30 gb full, I opened windows explorer an added up the size of all the programs and folders including the windows folder in the C: drive, the total is about 13 gb I can not figure out where the other 17gb of used space is, any ideas where all this used space can be. I ran a disk cleanup, emptied the recycle bin, removed temp files, and ran the defragmenter please help me Thank you
:thumbsup:

How about your mail? Do you have mail? Archive? Is your computer stand alone or it is used as a corporate user?
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:24 AM

Often what happens when checking file sizes, the folders won't condider the contents of sub-directories when calculating the size. This happens most often in the Windows, Program Files, and My Documents directories. Pick one, go through it level by level adding things up - then compare this with your previous figures. I think you'll see that the method that you first used didn't account for all of the files.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Klindstadt

Klindstadt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:49 AM

I am going to try jdiskreport see if I can find where all the space is

How about your mail? Do you have mail? Archive? Is your computer stand alone or it is used as a corporate user?

My mail takes up 118MB, no archive and the computer is stand alone

#6 Klindstadt

Klindstadt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 10:27 AM

I ran jdiskreport on the C: drive and it said 15.7GB used space

C: drive properties in Windows Explorer says 30.8GB used
you can view the reports at my web site @

http://woodlandthings.com/Disk%20size%20on%20laptop.htm

#7 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:14 PM

Have you emptied recycling bin?

Go into your web browser and empty cache.

Also check your virtual memory settings start/control panel/performance and maintenance/system. Click on advanced tab then the settings tab under performance and then the advance tab. The virtual memory settings will be the last item in the window.

If you still have memory unaccounted for, do you have up to date anti-virus and and anti-spyware software. If so do a thorough system scan to see if there is anything lurking.

If not let us know and someone can advise you on scanning your computer for malware of various forms.

#8 Klindstadt

Klindstadt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 10:14 AM

virtual memory settings is 348 Mb
I Have emptied the recycling bin
I installed Norton anti-virus with live up dates and set scheduled seans for once a week the day I purchased the computer and Zone Alarm Pro with anti spyware and it protects programs and operating system from malware

#9 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:00 PM

There are a lot of little items that can take up hard drive space that are fairly innocent, virtual memory, recycle bin, small files, etc, but probably should not be taking up this much room on your hard drive.

Try downloading adaware or spybot (both free for personal use) and run a scan with one or both and see if they find anything.

http://www.lavasoft.com/ (adaware)

http://www.lavasoft.com/

If it everything is clean you could just live with it, or back up your data, reformat hard drive, reinstall windows and programs.

It is nice thing to do on a cold winter day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users