Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speed and connection issues - Virgin?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 p.campbell

p.campbell

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:02 PM

Hi all,

Iím a total computer novice Iím afraid, so please bear with me if I ask any daft questions!

I donít know whether it is coincidence or not but I had Vrgin round the other day to replace the 20 modem with a 50. I was optimistic as they did a speed test and it suggested I would get the full 50 and the engineer seemed to think my PC was powerful enough to benefit.

Since then the computer seems to be running more slowly, surfing doesnít seem much quicker and it is constantly failing to connect to websites. Iíd say on at least 50% of attempts to download a page Ė even if itís just to open an email or bid o eBay, Iíll get told that ďInternet Explorer cannot display the webpageĒ or, more often, the screen attched.

Could this be anything to do with the modem or anything the engineer did? Or does anyone have any other ideas? (Laymanís language only please lol)

Attached Files

• Attached File  Doc2.doc   119.5KB   3 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:22 PM

I would open IE...Tools/Manage Add-ons...diable everything except Shockwave, Sun, Search Engine default, and the Network Diagnose mechanism.

Eliminate all toolbars in IE, turn off Filers and InPrivate Filtering.

Then reboot and see if there is improvement.

Louis

#3 p.campbell

p.campbell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:27 AM

Hi Hamluis,

Many thanks for this.

Just so I don't do anything I regret, as I understand you, that would involve diabling the following in toolbars & extensions - is that right? In Private filtering seemed to be off. I can't find any Filters? Cheers in advance!!

Toolbars and Extensions

Microsoft:

XML Document
Windows Media Player
Microsoft Silverlight
XML Document 3.0

Apple:

QuickTime Object

Yahoo! Inc

Yahoo Toolbar
Yahoo Toolbar helper

AVG Technologies: (TURNING THESE OFF WON'T INTERFERE WITH AVG RUNING, NO?)

AVG Security Toolbar
AVG Safe Search
AVG Security Toolbar BHO

Adobe Systems, incorporated:

Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper
Adobe PDF Link Helper

What about the Accelerators? :-

Name Blog with Windows Live
Address live.com
Category Blog
Status Default

Name E-mail with Windows Live
Address live.com
Category Email
Status Default

Name Map with Live Search
Address live.com
Category Map
Status Default

Name Translate with Live Search
Address live.com
Category Translate
Status Default

#4 p.campbell

p.campbell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:42 AM

Sorry, me again - just want to double check, now you've seen my list in IE Manage Add-ons, that it is OK to disable all these?

Cheers again

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:37 AM

I would open IE...Tools/Manage Add-ons...diable everything except Shockwave, Sun, Search Engine default, and the Network Diagnose mechanism.

Anything disabled...can always be re-enabled, we are not deleting anything, just stopping them from running.

Since I don't use most of the add-ons that you have listed...you need to either make your own decisions about each...or do as suggested.

Louis

#6 p.campbell

p.campbell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:10 PM

Thanks a million for this. I have done as you advised and I have to say it is much improved, although it does occasionally still fail to connect to websites (including Virgin’s own home page) without being reloaded a couple of times.

Although it is a lot better, it doesn’t seem to be any faster than before I upgraded (see my first post) and I need to know whether to cancel this upgrade. I don’t know whether my machine is too old to be able to benefit from it. Virgin said I would benefit but then they wouldÖ

My “System Properties” box tells me the spec is as follows:

Intel ®
Pentium ® 4 CPU 3.00 GHz
2.99 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

Any comments welcome!

Thanks again in advance

Edited by p.campbell, 08 March 2011 - 01:10 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:15 PM

IMO...broadband speed is determined by a number of things beyond user control.

IMO, the best procedure would be to check with your ISP.

As for determining relative worth of anything...that's a user decision :). But...if I were paying more for a service I was not receiving...I think I would have a talk with the apparent provider of said service.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users