Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion Hangs on HP Splash Screen

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tanishaw

tanishaw

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:51 PM

My HP Pavilion Desktop Computer will not go past the HP splash screen. This is actually a problem that I have been having for about two months. In the past I could usually get past the screen when it hung by hitting f8, but now that does not work. I am using Windows XP Media Center Edition. I am at my wits end. It's funny because I just ordered an external hard drive to get all of my important things off of this computer before it finally craps out, and I'm supposed to get it on Friday.

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2011 - 05:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:15 PM

Can you boot into safe mode?

Have you considered the possibility of a damaged profile?

Louis

#3 tanishaw

tanishaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

It won't let me do anything. I trying pressing F10 to go into the boot menu, but it popped up the words "Loading Boot Menu." It's been displaying that for the past hour now. And I have no idea what a damaged profile is, so I feel really dumb now.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:09 PM

No need to feel dumb about not knowing anything...it took me years to learn the little that I now understand :) and that takes no account of all that I don't and won't ever understand.

User profiles are collections of personal data associated to each specific system user. A profile refers therefore to the explicit digital representation of a person's identity...as seen when a person first attempts to logon/login to Windows.

Typically...if the profile is damaged, Windows will post a message indicating so and log the on with a temporary profile. My belief is that these warning messages should not be ignored.

But I suspect that some profiles can be damaged beyond repair, thus preventing that user from logging into Windows at all.

User accounts...can also be used as a way of referring to profiles. Example...on my system, my profile (Louis) is reflected in Control Panel/User Accounts.

What specific model HP system do you have?

<<This is actually a problem that I have been having for about two months.>>

What does the F8 key do on your system? I guess that I don't understand how hitting that would resolve any problem.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2011 - 05:11 PM.

#5 tanishaw

tanishaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:46 PM

I have a HP Pavilion a1328x. Definitely not the newest model. And when I hit F8 in the past, it would go to the screen where I could log on using safe mode. Instead of selecting safe mode, I would just choose the option to log on to Windows normally, and then it would start up from there.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:53 PM

Well...I would try running the chkdsk /r command from the XP Recovery Console...but you probably don't have an XP CD, since that system utlizes recovery disks/partition, from what I see.

The user profile was a lazy guess...I now think that you may have a damaged boot.ini file (but that's just another guess).

Some seem to think that it's possibly a CMOS battery problem...considering that it's a farily old system, that's worth replacing. The CMOS battery is a less-than-$5 item, readily available anywhere selling photo/electronic/etc. batteries.

See Step 4 info at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph05702&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=1817973

Sit back and wait for some other comments by those who know more about HP systems and situations like this, I'm done :).

Louis

#7 tanishaw

tanishaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:27 AM

I still need help with this...is there anyone out there?

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,626 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:30 AM

I'm a little unclear on what happens when you press F8 now

#9 tanishaw

tanishaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:34 AM

Nothing at all happens. It just sits at the splash screen.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,626 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:39 AM

What splash screen?

When the system first boots start tapping the F8 (function) key - continue tapping it and that should take you get to the advanced boot options screen. Does it?

#11 tanishaw

tanishaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:31 PM

This splash screen:
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
And I started tapping f8 and nothing happened. It just went to the above splash screen and stayed there.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,626 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:42 PM

Well, I'm sorry to say this - but from if I understand what is going on here your only choice may be a format a reinstall of the OS. I rarely recommend this drastic action, but I don't see another choice for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users