Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Bit Rate

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 spiritcloud

spiritcloud

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 04:07 PM

My sis filled up her entire 60 Gig hard drive with copied music CDs. When she handed it over to me, it had about 180 MB of space left. Eek!

I've freed up almost a GB by compressing things and removing temp files and stuff, but she doesn't want to part with any of the music.

So...here is my query. Is there a way to lower the bit rate on these files to cut their size down? The ones I checked were a whopping 1114 kbps(WMP doesn't even go that high)! I usually record mine at just 128Kbps. I swear that Windows Media Player had the capability to open a file and change the bit rate, but I can't seem to find it.

Any help is appreciated.
Nobility is not a birthright--it is a way of life.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:34 AM

One solution (though a bit tedious) would be to burn all the music back onto audio CDs (preferably CD-RWs), delete them from the hard drive, and re-rip them at a lower bitrate.

There are also programs that can change bitrate. I think Nero Wave Editor can do it, but it costs money, and does one file at a time. I'd check the Freeware Replacements for Common Commercial Apps forum.

EDIT: Audacity might do it. It seems like the same kind of program as Nero Wave Editor.

Edited by Lanscader, 23 December 2005 - 10:36 AM.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 23 December 2005 - 01:36 PM

this free app will help.

http://www.download.com/3000-2140_4-10042534.html
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users