Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Tool virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 frustrated!

frustrated!

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:08 AM

Hi,
We really need some help with this issue. 4 days ago our Laptop with Windows 7 operating system was infected with the System Tool Virus (with all the usual symptoms such as fake security message and badly worded wallpaper warning). We were well aware it was a virus and did all we could to remove it with the help of forums etc.... Unfortunately the virus that infected our PC seems to have evolved from the ones described online. For example it has completely disabled our full version of McAfee, disabled our wireless and cabled connection, the search for the files produced nothing from the date of infection, and certainly nothing labled "System Tool". It seems to have changed the modification dates of other files so we have no idea of when to search for, the permissions have been changed and we cannot access some files even as the administrator...... We restarted in safe mode and managed to down load Malwarebytes through our cabled connection. This did not find anything on the first scan so is even managing to evade this software. We have since run more scans with malwarebytes and different software which has located 2 rogue files linked to Java, however when we searched these files prior to the scan we found nothing. We have also restored to a safe date to further rid the computer of the virus. We have also manually spent hours searching the files for anything suspicious and found nothing but have deleted unneccessary or unused programs etc to ensure our hardrive is as clean as it could be. Having followed the all steps on the forums (and believe me I have seen them all!) our PC will still not connect to the internet. We have re-installed our Router and even having installed sorrectly and confirmed connection, a few minutes later it cannot connect or even see the network. Our Wireless adaptor is shown to be disconnected but there is no way of changing these settings. This has since extended to our cabled connection so we are unable to access the internet at all. This may be a blessing however as our McAfee software has also been completely disabled. We can access the interface but says our computer is at risk and will not turn on. We have reset the settings and this works for a bit but as soon as the screen saver kicks in or the PC is restarted it has been disabled again.
We have spent hours looking at ways of sorting this and restoring to factory settings or reinstalling windows seem to be the only idea we have left. I am still not convinced this virus has gone however and therefore do not want to back up any infected files. The computer is getting increasingly slow at performing simple tasks such as accessing the start menu or file searches. In an untechnical way it seems like it is slowly dying on us.....
Please let me know if there are any other options, someone suggested this site and a combofix?
Thanks in advance and apologies for the long winded explanation!
Emily

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:13 PM

Hi Emily, we are going to need a deep lok here and see what went on.

Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 frustrated!

frustrated!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:32 AM

Hi, I have posted the log in a new topic. (hopefully in the right Place!) Let me know if there is anything else i need to do.
EMily

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:45 AM

Looks good now..
Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRL Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users