Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to this forum

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jpmackay

jpmackay

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:44 AM

Hello to the members of this forum. And I have been reading lots of tutorial here but did not register as a member of this forum till this morning. Anyway need your help with one part for Windows XP Home Edition.

Earlier I type the word " sfc scannow " to check the system on my old desktop, eMachines T1840 and about a third way of running this check and got the message to ask me to insert the Operating system CD of Microsoft Windows XP but tell me that the CD that I put in is wrong. I am not sure how to get the right CD of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition to verify or check the dll files to install. Also I believe that one of my son use the wrong CD probably use the OEM Disk not the original one before to fix the problem of Microsoft Windows XP. I was surprised to see that the desktop did not come with the restore CD Disks and did ask my son about this. He said that when he bought the last desktop which is showing in display with the price markdown almost half price at the store -- I believe that would be Staples way back and they did not have the restore CD Disks included in the box for this desktop. Now I am asking you how do I get this corrected DLL files from the CD disk of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition? Your help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:56 AM

The directions for running the sfc /scannow command...do not necessarily apply to "restore/recovery disks" since Microsoft doesn't produce such and the instructions for running the command originate (justly) from Microsoft.

Recovery/restore disks are provided by the OEM system manufacturer who is responsible for system support...and these disks are manufactured by OEMs in a manner that many should not be construed to be the equal of XP install CDs (which are what should be used to run SFC).

Worth reading, IMO: How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html

Another thing to note...the CD used to run sfc /scannow must reflect the same SP as the system currently has. If the system has SP3 installed, you cannot use a CD which has less than SP3 included.

Louis

#3 jpmackay

jpmackay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:03 AM

My mistake to type the command and I mean this below not what I wrote before in my first message.

sfc.exe /scannow

Sorry for the confusion of the command that I wrote.

Thank you again,

John

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:17 AM

The command will run...in various forms. I myself only type sfc /scannow, the .exe is not necessary :), but it is necessary to have a space between the first part and /scannow.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users