Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Counterfeit 7 Ultimate? Should I report it?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 floridaze

floridaze

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:17 AM

Hi again gang. I came across the same shop which sold me my computer with the bad key. You may remember my thread from a few days about that. Let me paste what he's offering online and let you tell me if there's any possible iota that it could be true, before I begin the process of reporting him:

Windows 7 Ultimate FULL VERSION 32/64 bit (BNIB) - $125
Date: 2011-02-23, 10:51AM EST
BNIB(Brand New In Box)/Item Sealed/Unopened/Brand New/Factory

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:
- 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit).
- 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit).
- DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver.

Designed for people who want it all

Windows 7 Ultimate is the most powerful and versatile edition of Windows 7. It combines remarkable ease-of-use with the entertainment features of Home Premium and the business capabilities of Professional, including the ability to run many Windows XP productivity programs in Windows XP Mode. For added security, you can encrypt your data with BitLocker and BitLocker-To-Go. And for extra flexibility, you can work in any of 35 languages. Get it all with Windows 7 Ultimate.
Additional requirements:

- Windows XP Mode requires an additional 1 GB of RAM and an additional 15 GB of available hard disk space.
- Depending on resolution, video playback may require additional memory and advanced graphics hardware.
- Some games and programs might require a graphics card compatible with DirectX 10 or higher for optimal performance.
- For some Windows Media Center functionality a TV tuner and additional hardware may be required.
- Windows Touch and Tablet PCs require specific hardware.
- HomeGroup requires a network and PCs running Windows 7.
- DVD/CD authoring requires a compatible optical drive.
- BitLocker requires Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2.
- BitLocker To Go requires a USB flash drive.
- Music and sound require audio output.
- Internet access (fees may apply).
Product functionality and graphics may vary based on your system configuration. Some features may require advanced or additional hardware.

PCs with multi-core processors:

Windows 7 was designed to work with today's multi-core processors. All 32-bit versions of Windows 7 can support up to 32 processor cores, while 64‑bit versions can support up to 256 processor cores.

PCs with multiple processors (CPUs):

Commercial servers, workstations, and other high-end PCs may have more than one physical processor. Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate allow for two physical processors, providing the best performance on these computers. Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, and Home Premium will recognize only one physical processor.

Computer Store Name
Street Name
City State Zip
Phone Number
NOT OEM !!!!!

/end paste

I see it going in reputable stores and on the MS store site for either side of $300. I did a screen shot of his online ad. It has a scan of his business card and everything. Should I include this when I report him to the piracy police?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:45 AM

If it sounds too good to be true, it's usually a scam. Don't take a chance with him again. Crime DOES pay, he got your money once, don't let him get it again. When you contact Microsoft and the Attorney General's office for your area, give them as much information as possible.
Stay with reputable sites like NewEgg and TigerDirect. I just paid $99 for an OEM Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. A single legitimate 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate disk goes for near $200 for a single OEM version installation disk.

Edited by Zuhl3156, 02 March 2011 - 10:48 AM.

#3 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:53 AM

Thanks Zuhl. I'm gathering stuff to report him. I'll include this when I do so. The screen captures I mean, with his logos clearly all over the ad from Craigslist. I'll report him to MS, the BBB, the state AG, anybody else I can think of.

#4 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:05 AM

Try to avoid Craigslist. Almost everything there is related to some kind of criminal activity. Local Police detectives get most of there arrests from Craigslist and recover stolen property from there on a regular basis.

#5 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:14 AM

Try to avoid Craigslist. Almost everything there is related to some kind of criminal activity. Local Police detectives get most of there arrests from Craigslist and recover stolen property from there on a regular basis.

Do you have any way to back this statement up? I have bought and sold stuff via Craigslist without it being "related to some kind of criminal activity". I'm sure some items are questionable but to say "almost everything" is a pretty broad stroke.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#6 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:16 AM

Yes, I've heard lots of scams are on there. The computer from this store was advertised on Craigs, but the store had actually been recommended to me previously by the guy who works on my computer. I didn't think that he'd recommend a bad store to me, especially being that this store owner has two or three other stores. I guess I won't trust the repair guy who had recommended them either. Caveat emptor.

Thanks again.

#7 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:24 AM

Do you have any way to back this statement up? I have bought and sold stuff via Craigslist without it being "related to some kind of criminal activity". I'm sure some items are questionable but to say "almost everything" is a pretty broad stroke.

I could introduce you a friend of mine who works at Philadelphia Police Central detectives. I'm sure he'd be happy to check the serial numbers on your purchases to make certain these items aren't stolen or have counterfeit or doctored serial number stickers.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:30 PM

I see nothing here that really relates to functioning of Windows 7 and I am moving this topic to what I consider an appropriate forum.

Louis

#9 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:35 PM

I'm sorry if I started the discussion in the wrong forum. I'm just really scared and wanting all the info I can get on what to report. I have enough info now, so I'll drop out of the conversation. Thanks and apologies again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users