Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fans are going crazy . . . . maybe?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ThatGirl

ThatGirl

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:53 AM

This is a custom built computer, and I'll post specs later if they are necessary but I'm just concerned about one of my fans. Usually I dont mind fan noise but this is kind of absurd.
Posted Image
This is from speed fan.

Is something going wrong? Should I open it up and try to fix it? Which I'd rather not do since this comp is a catstrophe waiting to happen until I get the money for a bunch of new stuff for it.

Thanks for reading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:27 AM

What is fan 2? A system fan, or CPU fan?

How is this connected, via the motherboard or directly to the PSU?

Is this a three or four wire fan, or a two wire fan?

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online with the computer Speccy was run on.

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:46 PM

Both fan speeds have me a little concerned.
My CPU fan spins and ~4,000 rpm

One of your fans spins at 17 rpm?
Thats barely moving at all!

I would pop the case and see if there appears to be anything unusual with the fans, like oscilation.
Shut the system down afterwards and look to see if any of them need to be cleaned.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:27 PM

Ditto here, my two fans run around:

FANIN0 1750 RPM
FANIN1 1225 RPM

The 1834 doesn't bother me so much as the 17 RPM, which is barely turning.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:40 PM

never had a fan of any sort spin less then say 800 RPM, usually theyre over 1000. the one exception, is before I went crossfire, I had one side panel fan that would only activate once the system hit a certain temperature-but it didnt spin at 17 rpm. It either wasnt spinning at all (zero rpm) or was hitting 800+ rpm.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 pachm

pachm

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:17 PM

my speed an also reports a 20 rpm on my cpu fan connected to my mobo but i took the side of the case and its definitely not accurate its spinning so fast i cant see the blades not sure if I would trust speefan for that one...Attached File  Capture.PNG   48.87KB   6 downloads

#7 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:20 PM

I'd be tempted to poke my head inside the PC while its running and see which fan is the one that is turning at the same rate as the earth moves around the sun... Rule of thumb, if you can see and count the blades then its either turned off or time to replace it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users