Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System file check found corrupt files.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rose_bud

Rose_bud

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:28 AM

Hello there

I am running Vista home premium 32k on my ACER notebook PC. I have had the PC for 2 years or more now and feel that it needs to be cleaned, mainly because lately the PC has been switching off a lot lately when multitasking. There has definantly been a performance degrade.

So I have done a disk cleanup, cleaned and dusted the inside of my PC especially the fan, I have tweaked the indexing options on the C: as much as possible except I could not get rid of the Internet explorer history that is listed there and I know it should not be there by default, at least I think I do :wacko:

I also ran a checkdisk /r to which I don't know the result because I did not see where the log file was located but I am assuming that is ok :thumbup2: After that I ran the sfc/ scannow in the command prompt and come up with this result:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log."

My notebook did not come with a vista cd, it has partition with an istallation image on so I don't know if trying to run a repair with cd would fix my issues. I definitely want to fix this issue so if any kind soul out there has any idea of how we can go about this I will be extremely happy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:27 AM

What model Acer?

Louis

#3 Rose_bud

Rose_bud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

Hey Louis

It's an Extensa 5620G, I hope that helps.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:40 PM

Just general info, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/windows-resource-protection-found-corrupt-files/93a05f7d-3b46-49a1-b469-f14d23a456cc

You may have to use your recovery disks to restore to factory defaults, if you cannot borrow a Vista CD to attempt a repair.

FWIW: Extensa 5620G User Manual

Possibly useful, http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-make-a-windows-vista-repair-disk-if-you-dont-have-one/

You are correct in wondering if a restore will correct whatever is wrong...files can be diagnosed as damaged or become damaged...due to problems with either the file system (NTFS) or the hard drive itself. But...if it were me, I would try the recovery/restore mechanism if for no other reason than to find out if there is a more serious problem (hard drive or file system).

I say all these things...with absolutely minimal knowledge of Vista. The best suggestion I can give you now...wait for some comments by those who are more familiar with and knowledgeable about Vista and situations like this :).

Louis

#5 Rose_bud

Rose_bud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:59 PM

Hello

Thank you Louis for all the helpfull information found in those links you posted.

I feel I need to creat a repair disc to see if that resovles my issue. I would like to download the vista repair disc but the version at:
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/
is without service pack 2.

Does anyone know where one can obtain a vista service pack 2 repair disc?

This forum is truly a wealth of infromation, thank you.

#6 Rose_bud

Rose_bud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:34 AM

Hi

Okay so now I have downloaded and burnt the repair disk from http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/download-windows-vista-x64-recovery-disc/

after reading the posts and assuming it is infact with SP2.

Now I want to try run a repair and am having issues.

The only method that works is by booting from the disc and then choosing repair disc or install, so I chose repair disc which gave me a few options startup repair been one of them which I chose.

It told me to check if there were any usb drives connected and to remove and restar if there were. There were none!
I checked the advanced diagnostics and they reported the starup as been 100% successful.

I think there must be another wat to run a repair of the file system I am not sure if I should choose the install option and see where that takes me.

I tried putting the disk in once windows has booted and looking for a repair option but that does not work.

Any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users