Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

after setting up 2nd screen, gfx resets everytime app opened or device plugged in

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 torahtrance

torahtrance

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:17 AM

Since I plugged in a second monitor the other day I have a strange problem where the flickers as if your installing new drivers (you know the process), a bunch of times, making the windows 7 unplugging sound. Everytime I plug in my MP3 player, load up any of a number of apps or games, (if I alt+tab while in a game, 2+ minutes of screen flickering on and off).

Not sure what the problem is. Yesterday I did clean install of latest beta drivers from Nvidia - no help.

The two screens are different so I thought maybe that is causing a problem? One screen is 1440x900 res, the other is an old CRT with 1024 x 768.

Any ideas???

System is Intel P965 E6600 Nvidia 8800 GTS 320

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2011 - 12:25 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:19 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 torahtrance

torahtrance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:24 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/4u6GDDtSVqc3dBz5Nk918Ud

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:43 PM

What kind of power supply do you have? Get me the model number so I can look it up.

#5 torahtrance

torahtrance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:51 PM

corsair HX520
I dont think its a power issue. I was a technician myself for several years. I think there is some driver issue. Whenever I alt+tab from a game the screens need to reset everytime? the screen going blank off and on like installing a new driver.

Edited by torahtrance, 03 March 2011 - 03:29 PM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:57 PM

That happens because your video card lacks the memory to handle alt tabbing out of a game. Im thinking that you may need a new power supply, because of the fact that when you plug in a new monitor it flickers.

#7 torahtrance

torahtrance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:11 PM

it doesnt flicker exactly, it does the process like when installing new video drivers. In a controlled fashion the screen shuts off you hear the device unplugged sound a few times etc...

#8 torahtrance

torahtrance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:51 AM

That happens because your video card lacks the memory to handle alt tabbing out of a game.

This sounds like a real possibility. My card only has 320mb onboard of memory. Where would I be able to check the logs?

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:12 AM

You can check Event Viewer via Administrative Tools in Control Panel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users