Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ready Boost for Win 7 - What size for 1.5 gig of ram?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Konadan

Konadan

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:40 AM

I am shopping for Ready Boost compatible flash drives for Win 7. I understand you can have up to 256 gig in Win 7 in up to 8 devices. But what is the optimal amount for a system that has 1.5 gig of ram? I heard that Microsoft recommends three times amount of ram. If that's true, then why do they say you can use up to 256 gig of Ready Boost? What brands are the best?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:54 AM

I would recommend that you invest into more system RAM then a flash drive.

#3 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:41 AM

Thank you for your reply. I don't have a new PC. I would like to add more ram, but I can't. 1.5 gig of ram is my max.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:01 PM

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online with the computer Speccy was run on.

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:59 PM

ReadyBoost with any amount of RAM over 1GB won't improve anything.
Just one unnecessary service running and an extra USB slot taken.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:40 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/AsZI5WU2lSKN9FFERF6EeG0

#7 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:51 PM

Thanks Broni for your input. I been reading different opinions; especially for Win7. They say Ready Boost will improve performance for PCs with small amounts of ram...anything under 2 gigs of ram. Above that, it's not noticeable, but even some have noticed improvements at 4 gig. Apparently, performance improvements have been made by MS for Win7. Anyway, I thought I would ask you guys, the experts, for advice.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:00 PM

You have to realize, that USB stick transfer speed, compare to RAM speed is as slow as a turtle, so, if your computer is not screaming for more RAM (Win 7 should run a OK with 1.5GB of RAM), I believe ReadyBoost is just a wasted effort.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#9 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:12 PM

Thanks Broni. But what I have read is that the improvement comes from the fact that it's faster than the data transfer rate of a hard drive to ram. So, I suspect it's acting as virtual memory, and is faster than the virtual memory on a hard drive.

My PC is not screaming for ram. In fact, it's running real good. I just wanted to tweak it. :-)

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:36 PM

You can have up to 3Gigs of RAM for your machine. 1Gigabyte per slot, so yes you can purchase more memory.

#11 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:56 AM

How do you figure 3 gb? I wish it did! My spec's say 1.5 gb

Sony VAIO PCV-RX800 Series Desktop/PC

# Maximum Memory Capacity: 1536MB
# Currently Installed Memory: 1.5GB
# Available Memory Slots: 0
# Total Memory Slots: 3
# Dual Channel Support: No
# CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
# CPU Family: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40GHz Model 2, Stepping 4
# CPU Speed: 2400 MHz

I just ran a Crucial scan of memory, and it supports the above.

#12 Dmacf10

Dmacf10

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:17 PM

I am reading from Crucial's webpage here that 1.5 gig is the maximum for that motherboard. Judging from my personal experience with ReadyBoost I don't think you'll see too much of a difference with or without it, but it can't hurt it. Windows 7 loves memory, the more you have the more it uses; I am using 1.8GB just sitting idle at the desktop with Chrome open. If you do decide to try ReadyBoost do some research and find a drive that has quick read/write speeds. Also, though a bit more of an investment, by adding a USB 3.0 card and using and USB 3.0 flash drive you could get a bit more performance(a USB 3.0 card will require a free PCI Express slot in your PC).

Edited by Dmacf10, 03 March 2011 - 09:19 PM.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:39 PM

Another example of an OEM Crippling a motherboard.

#14 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:08 AM

Thanks Dmacf10 for your advice and being supportive! I like your idea re 3.0 usb. Unfortunately, I don't have a PCI Express slot. However, I picked up a highly recommended Super Talent Pico-C 8 GB flash drive(30mbs/200x) for a super good price at Amazon. So, I'll do a before and after test, and report on this post, next week. If it doesn't help, I still have a decent flash drive for my own use. I needed one, anyway.

BTW, my PC is 9 years old. When I upgraded the ram from .5gig to 1.5gig,back then, people were telling me it was overkill...how times have changed. To my knowledge there weren't any motherboards that supported 3gig, at that time.

Thanks cryptodan and dc3 for your help.

Edited by Konadan, 04 March 2011 - 12:11 AM.

#15 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:04 PM

I ditched the Super Talent Pico-C 8 GB flash drive, and sent it back. I instead got a Patriot Xporter XT Boost 8GB flash drive. Better product and actually cost less.

I notice the difference especially when I have multiple programs and with video. It upped my Windows Experience index up a notch for graphics. May not work for everyone, but it did for me. Cheers to everyone!

Edited by Konadan, 12 March 2011 - 03:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users