Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think that my computer could be dying!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chingaro

chingaro

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:48 PM

Hi guys. I'm having some serious trouble here. At first I just couldn't use AVG (control center), System Safety Monitor, CloneDVD and AnyDVD (problems with drives and certificates apparently), but now I can't even use Notepad, Directory Opus or Foobar. Their shortcuts are just white boxes instead of their own graphics. A couple of other programs have stopped working as well. E.g. RealPlayer.

Before Foobar completely stopped working, it wouldn't play any songs. I mean, it would say that it's playing a song, but the track time wouldn't move. That's another thing, all of my audio drives seemed to disappear. I reinstalled them, but they still don't seem to be there. Either way, I haven't got my sound back. And so yeah, I've done a System Restore and a WinXP repair installation, but things have only gotten worse. Please help me.

NOTE: CloneDVD gives me this message when I try and load it:

"File corrupted !

Please run a virus-check, then reinstall the application."

I've already done all of that, but as I said before, things have only gotten worse.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 02 March 2011 - 10:14 PM.
Moved to AII for initial assistance. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chingaro

chingaro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:06 PM

Hello!? My computer keeps restarting now! The only way I can stop it is if I do a WinXp installation repair!

#3 chingaro

chingaro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:49 AM

Lame...

#4 Jamiemcg

Jamiemcg

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:08 AM

Hello! I'm sorry that nobody posted a reply to your thread until just now.

If you are unable to download, run, or install any programs, I would suggest that you boot your computer into Safe Mode with Networking, which you can do by restarting your computer and pressing F8 while it's booting up. From there, you should use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode with Networking" and then press the Enter key.

Once you've booted your computer into Safe Mode with Networking, I would suggest that you try running another antivirus scan, as well as an antispyware or antimalware scan, in order to try and remove this virus or other malicious file or program.

If you would like to try using a different antivirus program, I would recommend that you try using Microsoft Security Essentials, which is a free antivirus program that was created by Microsoft and can be downloaded from the link below.

http://Microsoft.com/Security_Essentials

If you need a free antimalware program, I'd suggest that you try using MalwareBytes, which can be downloaded from the link below.

http://MalwareBytes.org

Also, perhaps you should try using Mozilla FireFox, which is a free browser that is safer than Internet Explorer and can also be customized with a variety of free add-ons and themes. If you'd like to try using Mozilla FireFox, you can download it from the link below.

http://Mozilla.com

Just so you know, I would suggest that you have more than one antivirus program installed on your computer at the same time, as they may end up conflicting with each other, which may cause false positives, as well as other problems. However, it is alright to have both an antivirus program and an antispyware or antimalware program installed on your computer at the same time.

Please let us know what happens!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users