Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU overworking... 100.5% !!!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 seehazy

seehazy

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:10 PM

I recently finished removing a very pesky TDSS rootkit virus and other infections on my computer with help from a bleeping computer volunteer. Now my computer seems to want to always run at full speed and the CPU meter I have on my sidebar (I am using Windows Vista) measures 100.5% at all times! The computer is very hot and the fan is running at full blast at all times. I have a 17" HP Pavilion dv9000 computer (that I have had issues with before) but this is a very new problem. Can anyone help me with this issue?? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:19 AM

Have you tried closing programs that is not needed?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:19 AM

I would probably start by getting into task manager to see which process(es) might be using so much of the cpu.

I'm not sure what steps you took dealing with your past issues but you'll want to make sure windows is up to date... you have a good anti-virus program, also up to date.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:33 AM

Also can you post a screenshot of hardware monitor.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 seehazy

seehazy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:40 PM

i looked through my task manager and found that "ntvdm.exe" was using up all of my system resources. at one point my firewall detected this program when it apparently tried to connect to the web. needless to say i blocked the program. i use comodo firewall and it had some information on this program: it said that 16-bit MS-Dos applications are connected with ntvdm.exe and that most legitimate programs no longer use this and that it would be a good idea to block it.

Does anyone know if this is some sort of virus or just a Windows process going haywire??

#6 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:08 PM

I checked your other topic to see if you listed your operating system.
Windows Vista.
I have never owned a computer with vista so my experience is limited.
Here's what bleeping computer says about the file...
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/NTVDM.EXE-3796.html

Based on what you said you found, I decided to see if I could find any OS specific info. I didn't really, but from the link I posted just now it says the following...

for running 16-bit tasks on the 32-bit OS's (Windows NT, 2K and XP)

Looks like vista wasn't mentioned. Then again, that article could have been written before vista was out.
Hopefully someone else can shine some light on that, whether or not that should be found on a vista system.

My guess, and this is just a guess, is that IF it is legit, it was installed with something you installed, such as a game, that was designed for earlier operating systems. IF that were the case, then removing it would obviously prevent you from using such an app...
again, this is just speculation.

I don't remember if you had done it in the other topic or not but, a quick scan using malwarebytes free edition wouldn't hurt anything.

As a side note, once the computer is running how it should, and you're sure there's no other issues, you should make sure that you have a good antivirus program, and it's up to date. Your OS is up to date, and even your browser is up to date.
I don't know anything about comodo firewall... years ago I used zone alarm, I may have been on win 2000 at the time. Later on I heard enough people telling me that windows firewall was good enough, and I haven't had any issues using it so I always figured, why bother with another application if I don't need it.

Also to note... though this could be something you know and don't need to hear, it's always worth mentioning.
Be careful what you click on and what sites you go to.
While it would drive my wife NUTS if I set her computer the way I do, I have firefox set to only allow cookies for sites if I tell it to... and I do the same for scripts. Scripts will not run unless I allow them first, using NoScript, a firefox addon.
I also use WOT, web of trust, to help me identify potentially dangerous websites, though avast, I think avg, mcafee, and a few others also do this same thing.
While viruses and such can come from anywhere, you're more likely to find them at some places than others. I have a friend who only had trouble after his brother had been using his computer. His brother, unknown to my friend, was visiting bad sites... That sort of thing makes a difference.

oops, rambling... all that to say, if you're unsure if you're protected enough now, it sure wouldn't hurt to beef up security a little.

It's sad that we have to worry about such things. :(

And... I would wait for someone else, that knows, to respond about what to do with that file.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:05 PM

measures 100.5% at all times! The computer is very hot and the fan is running at full blast at all times

First of all, CPU usage can't exceed 100%.
Then, have you tried to open the case and clean inside, using a can of compressed air?

Now, let's get some more info....

Posted Image Download System Information for Windows (SIW free version)
No installation required.

After it scans your computer, navigate to Hardware>Sensors and post all info from there.

Posted Image

Posted Image Download Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.
Attach the file to your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users