Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal drive that used to be an external drive

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Domo!

Domo!

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:57 PM

Hello, I have had a bit of problem with an internal drive that used to be an external drive. (plese forgive me if this is suppose to be in the external drive section of the forums but it leads to an internal problme so I thought it best to post it here.) I am using a Dell Dimension 4700 and am running Windows XP service pack 3.

I own a WD 5000H1U-00 which was working beautifully for about 3 years now and has recently been acting up. It started powering up and being read by the USB and working fine until any folder browsing occured and it would disconnect (eject) itself. After some thought and trying research I decided to dismantle it in order too see if something was dusty or burnt out in the small circuit board in the external. I used this video: as a guide and realized that there was a regular hard drive in the innards of the casting.

I then thought about putting it inside with my other hard drive thus eliminating the problem that I thought may have been a power issue. I wanted to be sure if such things existed so I went here : http://ask-leo.com/can_i_convert_an_external_usb_hard_drive_into_an_internal_one.html to get some insight and when I found out it was possible I went ahead and tried.

All was well and after powering down I used the connections inside the tower (the existing drive C: had another cable to be connected to another drive and I managed another drive to motherboard SATA cable) to install the drive.

All was well until start-up occured and it read:

Checking file system on H:
Type of file system is FAT32
The Volume is dirty
Number 5DA0-1DEF

The files were being check until about 3% completion and then it just stopped and froze. It tried several times later and the same outcome appeared. When I tried to use the Windows Recover Tool from my XP CD to see if there were any other tools I could use to fix it (in terms of a chkdsk or fixmbr) located in the Repair portion of the screen and it also froze then.The drive tends to make a noise not like the clinking in the: "Noises that indicate a defective drive" forum so I figured it wasn't broken but as I ttried to run the repair it made a nopise that envolved a sort of powering up than going back down to nil like a motor vehilce revving hard then letting go of the gas.

I have sence unplugged the drive until I can get further knowledge. Any insight would be helpful. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:50 AM

Your hdd is divided into clusters that are organized according to the file type, eg Fat32 or NTSF. The message telling you that the volume is dirty means that one of the clusters is damaged.

Try running chkdsk h: /r I'm guessing that this hdd's drive letter is h? If it isn't use the correct letter.

Go to Start, click on Run, and type cmd in the box and then click OK.

A black page like the one below will open with a blinking cursor, type in chkdsk h: /r then press the Enter key.

Posted Image

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Domo!

Domo!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:13 PM

Cool, thanks for the reply. Quick question though: Should I plug in the H drive while the computer in on in order to run the chkdsk through Windows(not sure if I was allowed to do that). I ask because I have the H drive unplugged since Windows won't start without checking it for the errors during start up. Afterwards it freezes and I'm stuck.

I just want to make sure, I'm not sure if I can fry these things or not if I plug it up in the improper order. Thanks again.

Edited by Domo!, 02 March 2011 - 05:08 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:07 PM

USB external hdds are hot swappable, you can do it either way.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Domo!

Domo!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:10 PM

Cool, thanks for the info. I plugged back in the drive and I tried the Start>Run>CMD and chkdsk h: /r but it came back as "Cannot open Volume for direct access". I'll be keeping it plugged in. Ready for the next step and thanks again.

Edited by Domo!, 02 March 2011 - 10:13 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:28 PM

Are you sure that this drive is designated a H?

#7 Domo!

Domo!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:00 PM

Yes, I should mention that after I plugged it back in it did not show up in the 'my computer' window either.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:10 PM

What is the manufacturer of this hdd?

Did you recheck your connections?

Most all manufacturers have a diagnostic tool that can be burned to a CD and you boot from it to run the test. Knowing that you have a bad cluster and now not being recognized in My Computer it is beginning to look like the hdd may have failed.

#9 Domo!

Domo!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:23 PM

Western Digital is the manufacturer. Model WD5000AAJS-00YFA0. I had rechecked the connection and ran the command again and recieved the same message. If the hdd have failed does this mean it's out for the count?

I ask because, I know when it connects via USB it works in its stop and go fashion and I see the data. It just won't allow me a access it when I try (i can probably click a file or two but then it conks out). The disk can be read from inside the tower when connected to the other hard drive and the motherboard on start up (I've even checked it on the setup screen when pressing f2 on start-up) but when i just connect it it flakes.

I am interested in the diagnostic tools though. I'm guessing I should thumb through thier website for some info? Thanks again for the input by the way.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:32 PM

Here you go...

WD Support / Downloads / EIDE (PATA) / WD Caviar Blue

Edited by dc3, 02 March 2011 - 11:36 PM.

#11 Domo!

Domo!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:36 PM

Thanks for the link. I'll post back with th results.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:38 PM

Here's something else that you may be interested in reading.

Western Digital WD WD5000AAJS-00YFA0 Data Recovery - Datacent

#13 Domo!

Domo!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:49 PM

Hey thanks, I've run the diagnostic and the H: drives does not show up when the diagnostic is running (it only shows the c:). I have also read the article and I've definetly have been hearing something similar to the " Western Digital 500GB desktop hard drive with bad bearings can't gain full rotational speed" sound from my hard drive. Currently checking out the data recovery evaluation form, too see what that's all about. Thanks again.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:00 AM

It definitely sounds like the hdd has gone south.

Good luck in retrieving your data.

#15 Domo!

Domo!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:03 AM

It's cool. Thanks again for the help. I've already filled out the data recovery form on the website. I thank you for all the help and info.

Edited by Domo!, 03 March 2011 - 12:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users