Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Xp Home Freezes At Desk Top On Bootup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 A and S Computing

A and S Computing

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 11:07 AM

Hi There,
I have this presario 6000 and it boots up and then on reaching the desk top it just freezes. i cannot get into safe mode except safe mode with prompt. i tried a restore from command but it says it cannot protect my pc and to restart. last known good configuration does not help either. Do i have to format and reload or is there some way to fix this mess. Thanks.

Andy

Edited by A and S Computing, 20 December 2005 - 11:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 12:00 PM

If you have an xp disk, not a vender restore disk, you can do a repair.

Boot from windows cd, say no at window that asks if you want to run repair console.

At next console you have a choice of reinstalling or repairing current installation.

Choosing repair should restore os files without damaging user files, tho it is always safest to back up important files if possible before doing a restore.

#3 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2005 - 01:57 PM

Actually, it would help to do this first.

If you do have an xp repair disk, pop it in.
Boot from it, usually by pressing f8 until you get a menu where you can choose to boot from cd.
Windows xp, will load all required files from the disk.

Once its done youll be presented with an install menu option. Press r to go into recovery console is what were looking for. Once you press R, youll be presented with a menu similar to a command prompt. Youll be prompted to choose the windows xp installing, but choose the one called C:\Windows.

Now it will ask for the administrator password, unless you or your family has set one, there isnt one. So just press enter.

Now your in the prompt, here you can type commands. When your done with the commands type EXIT to leave.

Now enter the following commands, one after another.

CHKDSK /p This command will check your harddrive for errors, This may fix your boot problem.
FIXBOOT This will fix your boot record, often wich gets corrupted in incidents like this.
FIXMBR This will rewrite your master boot record, wich is what tells Windows xp to load.

After all three commands are finsihed with their jobs, type EXIT, and your machine will reboot.

#4 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 09:37 PM

I have encounter this problem with many user and my solution for them is to do a WINDOWS REPAIR not RECOVERY. It would solve the problem.....
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#5 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 12:58 AM

Why just reinstall windows, whenever theres a hard disk crash? Wouldnt scanning the harddrive for corrupt sectors, and rewriting the master boot record help with fixing crashes? You can just as easily NOT rewrite all your windows settings and options and fix it the right way.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:21 AM

Please check the Event Viewer (Start...Control Panel...Administrative Tools...Event Viewer) for any errors that occur around this time.

This is most likely a conflict with something in the startup of Windows - either a driver or a software issue.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users