Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore fails, CHKDSK stalled

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sandy H

Sandy H

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

I have a Dell computer running Windows XP Service Pack 3 (Windows Update on Automatic) I installed a software program update that deleted half my desktop icons so I decided to try a System Restore to yesterday's check point. The System Restore just sat there for over 1/2 hour with "Preparing..." I gave up and held the power button down until it restarted. When Windows reloaded, it said System Restore has failed and to undo the restore but I was not able to get back to System Restore. So I hit the power button again, it restarted and went into CHKDSK, it says 'the volume is dirty" Stage 1 has completed but it has been sitting at 26 percent completed on Stage 2 for the last 45 minutes. Don't know what to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:21 PM

Any time a hard shutdown occurs...there's a high probability that system files will be damaged.

That's one of the reasons for the automatic chkdsk upon successful reboot.

The problem with this auto chkdsk...it doesn't do the 5-step process, which is more thorough...it does the 3-step chkdsk. Result is that files are often still screwed up after this auto chkdsk runs.

The solution is to run the chkdsk /r command, once the system boots successfully.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen and hit Enter. Reboot. The chkdsk /r will run before booting into XP.

Generally speaking...there may be hard drive problems if chkdsk takes an extraordinary amount of time on anything other than Stages 4 and 5, IMO. When it appears to stall...it's working, just not very effectively at what it's trying to accomplish. I suggest letting it finish. If an error message pops up while it's trying to run...that's likely to be a confirmation that the drive itself or the file system is damaged beyond the ability of chkdsk to overcome.

Louis

#3 Sandy H

Sandy H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:25 PM

It has been well over an hour at 26 percent completed on stage 2, no lights on the hard drive. Do I assume it is just doing its thing and wait it out? I do have Recovery Console loaded and an option when rebooting.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:27 PM

If there's no drive light your system is frozen. You might as well force a reboot - but no guaranties about what's going to happen (or not happen)

#5 Sandy H

Sandy H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

Booted again, CHKDSK started over, finished with no errors and Windows loaded successfully. Thanks for your time.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:17 PM

I would run the appropriate diagnostic on your hard drive, just to reassure myself that there are no problems with the drive itself.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Happy computing :).

Louis

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:49 AM

Booted again, CHKDSK started over, finished with no errors and Windows loaded successfully. Thanks for your time.

If I were you I'd boot to the Recovery Console and run chkdsk /r

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:23 PM

For safety sake, you might also want to back up your important data.
If your hard drive is failing it will take everything with it.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 Sandy H

Sandy H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:13 PM

I back everything up routinely but thanks for the reminder. I ran Recovery Console and chkdsk /r. It said I have unrepairable damage, yeah! So I am trying to decide whether I want to put money in this one or bite the bullet and get a MAC. Again, thank you to everyone who took the time to give me advice. You all ROCK!

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:56 PM

Yep - glad to help but sorry the hd is shot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users