Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attachment Downloads from Yahoo mail never Finish

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 naughtyeyes

naughtyeyes

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:17 PM

Last week I posted the following in the "Am I infected?" area and was redirected here.

I know this is a super long post but I tried to include everything. The guts of my problem is that attachment downloads from yahoo mail never finish. And I mean never, not just slow, never. I never recieved any replies but I seriously need help.

Is the problem likely in my router if no virus can be found? I've used every anti-virus, anti-spy, anti-rootkit tool available, free and paid, nothing found. I don't have trouble with my other computers attached to the same router. My router is as secure as I know how to make it, I have a password to connect not to mention my nearest neighbor is over 6 miles away.

Please help me, I'm almost decided that a total wipe out of my harddrive is the only option but I'm not even sure this is it if it is in the router!

Help!

&

I have been having the following problem for several weeks and nothing done so far seems to help.

I use Yahoo mail as my primary non-work email provider. I only have this problem when using Yahoo mail, not any other email applications and my computer works fine other than this. When I recieve emails that have attachments, no matter what type; doc, pdf, jpeg, they never finish downloading. When I open the email everything pops up smoothly, I click the link to open the attachment, then a window pops up with a revolving green arrow to check for viruses, after several seconds it finishes and a button pops up that says "download file" so I click the button and then the windows download screen pops up asking me to save, open, or cancel. I have the problem if I click save or open either way. Once I choose an option the next window pops up with the little earth and a file folder and the paper flipping between the two. Nothing else comes up in the window. I am used to seeing the download speed and the estimated time remaining but it never shows and the download never completes. Sometimes I can download one or two things and then this occurs and its like my computer has gone into slow-mo and I have to force reboot in order to do anything.

I have tried several different things to solve this problem. My virus software and firewall are up to date and running smoothly. My computer works like a dream until this happens. Other internet sites function fine and my download and upload speed test is what it should be. I have tried to reboot the router and repair the internet connection. These don't seem to prevent the problem from happening again and don't solve the problem once it has started. I've debugged, defragged, scanned for malware and rootkits and I'm ready to pull my hair out!

I took the computer to a repair person and he suggested that the problem may be with the router. He may be right but I have 4 other identical computers that connect and download the same emails just fine. This happens no matter if we are all on at once or if only the one computer is connected. My router is a Lynksys wireless N, it is about 2 years old. My computer is a dell inspiron 1501 running windows xp professional, it is up to date with all windows updates. I use IE 8 to browse, I do not use outlook to get my mail, I am trying to download straight from the yahoo mail site.

Thanks in advance for your help!

The helper there suggested I run MBAM which I did. The quick and full scans did not dectect a single item.
I later used the startup list application from another part of the site to remove several things from the X list but the probblem is still there.

What do I do now?

jessie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:09 AM

The only thing I can suggest is to forward the mail to non-yahoo email and see if the attachment will open.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users