Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Glitches, freezing, ctl alt del won't work

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hishaamsiddiqi

hishaamsiddiqi

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:16 PM

Hello!

I have recently noticed a few new glitches on my Gateway laptop, running on Windows Vista, the laptop is only two years old. I haven't installed anything new, and have been running a consistent anti-virus and spyware program for a while now, so I can't possibly think of an external cause for these glitches other than the laptop itself possibly just going haywire.

Symptoms:

1) The laptop will function properly, but if it is idle long enough for the screen to turn off for power save mode, upon reusing the laptop everything will be frozen and none of the programs will work. Ctrl alt delete does not work in this instance. The only option is to hold down the power button and improperly turn off.
2) Occasionally, while simply browsing different sites on the web, the laptop again will freeze, and ctrl alt delete does not work. Will have to once again improperly turn off.

Other than those two 'freezing' instances, ctrl alt delete works. It simply stops working when the computer freezes which is usually after reusing it from when it has been idle, or randomly during normal computer use (less frequent.) The freezing is not total, the mouse still moves, but any clicking or keys are unresponsive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

Have you run a chkdsk yet?

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html

#3 hishaamsiddiqi

hishaamsiddiqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:32 AM

I just did that disk check, I don't think it found any problems...
I've been using my laptop for five minutes since then, so it's too early to detect any remaining symptoms.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:25 AM

Possible overheating?

Louis

#5 hishaamsiddiqi

hishaamsiddiqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:38 PM

Maybe, maybe not. My laptop is always on a desk with plenty of room for cooling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users