Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

keeping tower in a cabinet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:10 PM

A lot of computer desks, my own included, have a cabinet to put your tower and hide it out of the way.
My question is this... Do you keep the cabinet door open or close while operating?

Reason behind the question...
My last computer, just a few weeks ago, was a little louder than I liked. I doubt the specifics of the computer are important but I can provide them if it would impact the discussion.

The desk... there was plenty of room in there for a tower. When I bought the desk, it had that fake wood panel to cover the back. You could punch out holes for the wires. I personally thought that it would be best for there to be NO back to that section for better airflow. So, I cut that section off.
So, the back of that cabinet was open and the back of the desk is about 4 inches from the wall, enough room for me to manage wires and such back there.
Sometimes I ran the computer with the side of it off... the side of the computer that is. So, it was open.
I don't know what the effects of running it like that, other than cleaning out dust more often... but, when I had it running set up in such a way... the pc would get hotter when the cabinet door was closed.
Yep... if the door was closed, the fan would increase and as soon as I opened it, the fan would quiet down a little. So even with the side panel of the pc off, and the back of the cabinet open, the door to the cabinet being closed would affect the temperature of the computer.

So now I'm thinking... I have this new computer... it's already quieter than my old one, and I love that. It could be quieter if I closed that door... but, so far I don't think I will.
Actually, another topic altogether really... I MIGHT build a new computer desk in the future that will not have an enclosed cabinet.

Anyway... what do you guys do? I have a feeling the temp differences aren't that drastic but, I sure would like this new pc to last as long and perform as well as possible.
For now... the door is open...

Not sure if this is the best place for this topic. I looked at all sections and couldn't find one that I thought was right... but this is hardware related I guess.

Edited by millipede, 01 March 2011 - 05:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:59 PM

Generally speaking, the more ventilation the better off (cooler) your computer is. I think you proved to yourself by experimenting with your old computer that leaving the door open on your desk improved your computers ability to cool itself by efficient use of ventilation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users