Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

defragging

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cbell58

cbell58

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:29 PM

do you need to defrag windows 7. i have read that it runs in background during times. i have never defragged since i have had windows 7 and it seems to run fine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:40 PM

"Need" is the wrong word. You don't really "need" to defragment. Having said that, it's always a good idea to defragment your hd. The OS is not relevant to this.

I'm not sure what you read or what is supposed to run in the background (perhaps you could post a link to that?) - but the short answer is yes - you should defrag the hd.

#3 w7pro

w7pro

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:03 PM

Allan is right. It's not necessary, though doing it every once in a while wouldn't hurt.

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team

#4 Capt.Jack Sparrow

Capt.Jack Sparrow

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:07 PM

Hi there,

Used the Windows build-in defrag which is quiet good. You'll find lot of third party application that claims to do lot of things. I believe your referring to Defraggler from the same developers of CCleaner rite?
Captain_MVP
Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert(IT-Pro)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:54 AM

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/01/25/disk-defragmentation-background-and-engineering-the-windows-7-improvements.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/maintenance/speed.aspx

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users