Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrading my pc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 scoped

scoped

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:30 AM

hey there guys,
my spec is as follows

x 1 - XFX ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
x 1 - Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366) - Retail + World In Conflict PC Game
x 1 - Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
x 1 - Hiper M1000 Power 1000w Power Supply
x 1 - Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 CPU Cooler (Socket LGA1366)
x 1 - Antec 300 Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black (No PSU)
x 1 - OCZ Intel i7 3GB (3x1GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel (OCZ3X1600LV3GK)
x2 - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM
x 2 - Noctua NF-S12 1200RPM 120mm Silent Case Fan - 3 Pin

i only had a copy of windows xp, so i got under 3gb of ram but ive now got windows 7
but i was thinking of upgrading to (ram wise)
Corsair Vengeance 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Triple Channel Kit (CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9) [CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9]

but then i was wondering, would faster ram, with less memory be better?
like this:
Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-16000C9 2000MHz Triple Channel Kit (CMX6GX3M3B2000C9) [CMX6GX3M3B2000C9]

any help would really be appreciated here

and for the hard drive, i was thinking a ssd of about 64-80gb,
however i don't know much about ssd's so i was wondering, are they reliable, and do they have a decent life span, and is it something i should look in to getting?

thanks for your time

andy

Edited by scoped, 01 March 2011 - 12:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

12 gigs is overkill 6GB is more than enough at the mean time

i will say go with the faster ram

for the gpu

i will say go for nvidia a decent graphic card

you will get use of the cuda and graphic acceleration

and it's an opinion if someone has a better one say it

A big thanks to Dider Stevens

sorry for not being around

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:52 PM

First question(s) regarding memory on that system "How much clearance is there between the bottom of your cooler and the memory slots? Does the cooler/fan overhang the first and second mem slots? Memory sticks with tall/elaborate cooling might get in the way of a CPU cooler.

I have built 3 (I think) X58 systems. I found that low latency memory doesn't do a lot for you. Ditto for any memory over DDR3 1600. DDR3 1600 is the sweet spot for i7 920s. The easy overclock is 3.3ghz (166 mem bus speed (1333)synchronous) and 1600 speed RAM has lots of overhead left to reduce multipliers/bump bus speed. The latencies are really overrated as far as speed is concerned. You will have a hard time noticing the difference between 9-9-9-24 or 7-7-7-20, maybe 5% mem bandwidth difference.

As far as memory, 6 gig is the sweet spot. I have yet to run across any app, or combination of apps, that use more than 4 gigs total. I like low voltage DDR3 (1.5V) as it tends to run cooler and you don't have to worry about voltage tweeks for the controller.

6 or 12 gig is up to you. You won't see a difference unless you are into some high level incredible memory eating apps.

If you do go 12gigs, 3X4gig is preferred over 6X2gig. Your memory selection is right on, also consider http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231358.

Gotta run, late for lunch with the wife.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:07 PM

A few things come to mind. That socket, the LGA 1366 is going to be phased out soon for the LGA 2011 socket, meaning, your upgrade path is going to be cut short soon. Consider going with one of the new Sandy Bridge CPU's, if they are available (Stock is limited due to chipset issues and new chipsets are being rolled out), or a Phenom II X6. You may also want to consider getting a full ATX case since the size of most of the high-end graphics cards are quite large and may not fit in a mid-ATX. ATI/AMD is perfectly fine and screaming "Nvidia rockszzzz!!!111," or the same with AMD, is pure fanboyism. AMD's GPU's are usually a better value, but are still high-performers, both Nvidia and AMD will accelerate graphics (That's sort of the whole point of a GPU), and Nvidia's proprietary CUDA technology is rarely used in many games to the extent of having a significant performance hit. Unless you are getting two dual GPU cards, a 1000W power supply is probably overkill, as is 12GB of RAM. That GPU is actually quite old, you may want to get something from the Radeon 6900 series and using Crossfire with it.

3939.png

#5 scoped

scoped
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:33 AM

A few things come to mind. That socket, the LGA 1366 is going to be phased out soon for the LGA 2011 socket, meaning, your upgrade path is going to be cut short soon. Consider going with one of the new Sandy Bridge CPU's, if they are available (Stock is limited due to chipset issues and new chipsets are being rolled out), or a Phenom II X6. You may also want to consider getting a full ATX case since the size of most of the high-end graphics cards are quite large and may not fit in a mid-ATX. ATI/AMD is perfectly fine and screaming "Nvidia rockszzzz!!!111," or the same with AMD, is pure fanboyism. AMD's GPU's are usually a better value, but are still high-performers, both Nvidia and AMD will accelerate graphics (That's sort of the whole point of a GPU), and Nvidia's proprietary CUDA technology is rarely used in many games to the extent of having a significant performance hit. Unless you are getting two dual GPU cards, a 1000W power supply is probably overkill, as is 12GB of RAM. That GPU is actually quite old, you may want to get something from the Radeon 6900 series and using Crossfire with it.

The list above, is what i've currently got, so i'm only planning on upgrading the ram and hdd atm, but i'll bear in mind that the mobo is going to be phased out :).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users