Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UPDATE HAS MESSED UP MY COMPUTER

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 livelyone

livelyone

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:13 AM

My Sunday morning update has caused IE8 not to work properly, links in particular. AOL has an issue as well. I restarted several times...installed Mozilla just to get Internet access. Yesterday the printer won't print out of Outlook. Can i rollback my computer to Saturday?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:10 AM

If you are certain the Windows Update is the cause you can do one of two things:

System Restore
or
Uninstall the Update

#3 livelyone

livelyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:15 AM

How would I uninstall the updates? I was on my computer Sunday morning while updates were running. All was fine. Came back to it later and IE8 AOL were all messed up. So, pretty sure it was the updates.

Thanks!

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:19 AM

http://www.vista4beginners.com/How-to-uninstall-Windows-Vista-updates

#5 livelyone

livelyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:26 AM

Would these updates be available to update again if I choose? Is there any harm in deleting these? Thanks for your quick response and your patience.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:29 AM

Yes - once you uninstall them they will be offered again. If you have Updates set to be automatically installed, they will be installed at the next update. What you should do is set updates to notify but not install. You should also set updates to only install Windows Updates but NEVER hardware or driver updates.

No - no harm

And you're welcome :)

#7 livelyone

livelyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:32 AM

You are a dear. I will uninstall them now. Crossing fingers, toes and everything to hope this fixes things. I'll change the updates too. Thank you!!

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:36 AM

A suggestion if I may. I'm a big fan of disk imaging software. I believe everyone should use it on a regular basis. Creating images to a second hard drive is the best protection against any and all problems that would cause you to have to reinstall the operating system and offers a simple method of restoring your system to an earlier date. It is better and more reliable than system restore and when used on a regular basis it is faultless. I image my system partitions on a weekly basis, keeping the two or three most recent images (and deleting the rest since they are very large).

The best such software is Acronis True Image, but it is not free. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect. Might be worth looking into.

Edited by Allan, 01 March 2011 - 08:37 AM.

#9 livelyone

livelyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:45 AM

Thank you - I'll look into that. Have a great day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users