Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CHOICE

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 benjaminavi1994

benjaminavi1994

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:06 AM

Hi,

I have currently been using Max Secure 2011 but by the looks of it I think One of the free ones may be more more powerful

i currently can`t decide between Microsoft Security Essential,Avira,Avast

I think avast is the only one of the 3 that offers behaviour based protection(Maybe Wrong)

Also Will Enabling Windows Defender Real time protection create problem with the following AV`s

Will zonealarm/comodo firwall cause problems??

Also which one is the choice of people here????

I know this question has been aksed quite a lot of times but considering products have changed a bit I thought I would get a better knowledge regarding the feature offered by the following

Also , Is Norton IS 2011 worth the money or is Kaspersky a better choice I`m planning to purcahse a paid IS anyway after a month or so

So which is lighter on system resources!

Edited by hamluis, 01 March 2011 - 07:55 AM.
Removed excess blank lines, moved from Vista to AV, Fiewall, Privacy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:05 AM

Independent Anti-virus software Comparisons & TestsThese kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results. Read Anti-virus Testing Websites: An overview of testing sites

Anti-virus Software Reviews
IMO Microsoft Security Essential, Avira, and Avast are all very good choices. My personal choice is NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small foortprint. Kaspersky would be my second choice for a paid for anti-virus. Although Symantec (Norton) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. However, I have read from other users that Symantec has really improved the newer versions. However, Symantec products can be difficult to remove and remnants are often left behind which require the use of a special removal tool, otherwise you may encounter problems installing a replacement anti-virus. To be fair, other vendors are also using removal tools for the same reason. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative.

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, available technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no best anti-virus. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs. For more specific information to consider, please read Choosing Your Anti-virus Software.

A multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense, safe computing and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 benjaminavi1994

benjaminavi1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:56 AM

Hi thanks a ton For the links

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:58 AM

You're welcome.

Enjoy the reading. :)

#5 jziggyp

jziggyp

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:53 PM

Great info quietman7

While surfing through the links I came across Coranti. Anybody using it or have any insight???
http://www.coranti.com/

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:45 PM

Will zonealarm/comodo firwall cause problems??

Running 2 software firewalls WILL be problem.

Running multiple software firewalls is unnecessary for typical home computers. Using two firewalls on the same connection could cause issues with connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior. One firewall, whether it's the Windows Firewall or a different software firewall, can provide substantial protection for your computer.

Get the basics on firewalls
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 benjaminavi1994

benjaminavi1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:31 AM

Hi

I was asking if using either Zonealarm or comodo firewalls would cause a conflict with avira and other AV softwares

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:43 PM

No conflicts as long as they are just Firewalls and not suites with anti-virus protection too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users