Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Still hummin Inspiron 9400 advice on a breath of fresh air

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rsssmoore

rsssmoore

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:30 AM

It is about time to retire my old Dell Inspiron 9400, but a change in finances has put the brakes on that for awhile so I decided to tune it up and upgrade a few things. So far all is going well. Ready to purchase some RAM and felt comfortable about what I needed and why until I read some conflicting info from a reputable source. Hoping to get clarification. Here is the scenario and specs. Inspiron 9400 Core Duo T2400(Yonah) 1.83ghz FSB 166mhz Dual Channel Mem / Dual Core so I calc rated FSB 667mhz Motherboard is I945PM Video is Nvidia Geforce GO 7800 256Mbytes. My choice was DDR2 PC2-5300-667 now this was recommended by Crucial and afew other Memory Dist. Dell on the other hand says DDR2 PC-6400-800 why I dont know? Maybee to just sell me something $$. Then I read that the higher bandwith of the 667 RAM coupled with my standalone video card would only have a minimal effect and that 533mhz was all that I would need? So I pose this simple question to you all which one and why? I thought that I had slayed this dragon already...thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:39 AM

The 667MHz DDR2 is the correct one, but Dell may have standardised on DDR2-800, which should drop back to run at the 667MHz. The Yonah architecture doesn't have the data throughput to fully utilise the bandwidth of PC2-5300, that's true, but 667MHz runs syncronously, 533MHz wouldn't so 667 is best. Because of production volumes, lower spec memory can cost more anyway, which is one reason Dell might have standardised on the 800MHz.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users