Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I infected?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 valianthunter

valianthunter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:21 AM

I will try this again.

I am running XP. Had computer completely cleaned and restored by professional. Installed Mozilla. Able to use sites before-now-I cannot after installing Adobe X. Uninstalled Mozilla and Adobe X according to Bleeping's instructions on home page. Reinstalled - still having trouble. Are my settings wrong?

I can sign onto every site I use with IE8. Why am I having this problem with Mozilla? Is it Mozilla? Is it Adobe? Am I infected?

Novice user. Please, please help.

Thanks in advance.

VH

Edited by valianthunter, 01 March 2011 - 03:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:12 PM

I cannot sign into sites that I could before

What exactly happens when you try?

Did you try clearning your Web browser cache? Clearing the cache forces the browser to load the latest versions of Web pages and programs you visit.

Another possibility is that the cache has already been cleared and you may have to log in again if FF was previously set to remember you.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 valianthunter

valianthunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:49 PM

Ok, I did as you said, I cleared out my cache. Same thing. Let me describe how this went down. Using Mozilla - A couple of weeks ago I paid my mortgage bill. Then I had to look something up on my Duke Energy bill online for tax purposes, it forced me to download AdobeX. The next day I went to the same financial institution through which I paid my mortgage to pay my credit card. There are four steps that have to be completed in order to make the payment. I selected everything I normally do on step 1. Hit enter. It never leaves the page with step 1 on it. (If I do this and I did have to, on IE8, it works without a problem).
I then tried to pay my phone bill. I went to that site and tried to sign in. The page does not move. Yes my sign on is correct. There were no errors cited on any of the above attempts. Last night I tried to sign onto the careerbuilder website to check for any new postings. Again, page doesn't move. Again, no error cited. Again, sign on is verified to be correct. Again, if I go to IE8 everything works.
Yes it would probably be easier to go to IE whenever I want to make a payment or sign on to certain pages. However, I want what I want and right now what I want is to know why this is occurring when I never had a problem before?
Please forgive my stubbornness. Just frustrated.
p.s. last night I took AVG off and replaced with trial of Avast. Still nothing. I'm leaning toward mozilla problem. did go their forum, so far no response.

Thanks in advance for your attention to my neediness. :)

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:51 PM

I suspect the issue is with Adobe X not Firefox. I had a similar problem as you describe after installing Adobe X on my work machine. Our Tech Support advised me other users were reporting problems as well. I removed Adobe X, installed an older version (v9.4.0) and did not have any further problems.

I would try doing that. You can download that version from this link:
http://www.thewindowscenter.com/showthread.php?2458-Adobe-Reader-v9.4.0-Final

Then apply v9.4.1 update which you can download from here:
http://www.bestdownload.com/view.php?detail=1532

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:01 PM

Users are also posting similar complaints at the Adobe Forum after updating to Adobe X

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/776060
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/756080?start=0&tstart=0
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/756518?tstart=0

#6 valianthunter

valianthunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:12 AM

Here's what I did.
-took everything off via control panel add/remove
-took everything off via start, search...deleted any and all mozilla and adobe.
restarted my computer.
in IE8 - I came to the above posting downloaded adobe v9, update. Then I downloaded Mozilla. In that order.
In Mozilla-did a search for my phone company via Google. Tried my sign-on, it worked. In a different tab, still in Mozilla, tried again and it worked again.

So far, so good, you are a computer god! Thank you so very much!!! :thumbsup:

Now, may I ask some silly questions please?
1-Do I need Abbyy Fine Reader 6.0 Sprint if I have Adobe?
2-When I first bring up my home page it keeps asking me to update to Adobe Flash 10.2...when I took Adobe off, I took all things (Adobe) off. Do I want to add the Flash 10.2?

Again, thanks tremendously

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:13 AM

Abbyy Fine Reader is an OCR program that converts an image of scanned text to actual text which allows you to edit it. This type of software usually comes with your scanner and is installed when using the installation CD to set up the hardware.

AdobeFlashPlayer was just updated to v10.2.152.32 on 2/282/11. There are two versions, one for Internet Explorer and one for Firefox. I recommend updating both browsers. I have not read any reports of issues regarding these updates and encountered no problems when I updated yesterday.

Install a different version for OS & Browser: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
Downloads of all Flash Players: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html
Downloads of both Flash & Shockware Web players: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users