Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All Folders Empty On System Restore

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ravi

ravi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 03:35 AM

Hi,
I have a typical problem.
After each time i restore my system thru windows X default system restore feature, i find that MANY of my FOLDERS are EMPTY. This wasy I loose the data often, and hence I am now reluctant to use System Restore.

I have Windows XP professional, and use McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0.0

Need help.

Brgds
Ravi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 04:25 AM

Hi,
I have a typical problem.
After each time i restore my system thru windows X default system restore feature, i find that MANY of my FOLDERS are EMPTY. This wasy I loose the data often, and hence I am now reluctant to use System Restore.

I have Windows XP professional, and use McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0.0

Need help.

Brgds
Ravi

When you do a restore, the actual files will not be deleted nor disappear as restore would only affect application programs along with the application folders. Need to noe what folders you refer to and what do these folders contain.
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#3 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:01 AM

ravi:

Make sure that the files are not just hidden. See the following:
How to Show System Files
http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html

Edited by just me, 20 December 2005 - 10:06 AM.

#4 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 11:48 AM

Are you doing a restore from windows xp disk or a restore disk provided by vender?

Windows xp will repair os files without overwriting users files.

Vender restore disks return your computer to the state it was in when it left the plant, and does delete user files.

#5 ravi

ravi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 12:45 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. I am using system restore thru the Windows XP and not that of any RECOVERY CD.

After restoration I get a normal message that "Your system has been restred to ....... (any respective date) successfully."

This has been happenning almost every time I use SYSTEM RESTORE feature.

The folders which I am refering to are my usual DATA folders, that I create to save my usual MSword MSExcel, PDF, PPT and other files.

And yes, of course its not a problem of Hidden Files rather its actual problem of "FOLDER EMPTY". The folder size 0 bytes.

Also please note that Not all my folders get empty.

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:19 AM

When you do a restore, the actual files will not be deleted nor disappear as restore would only affect application programs along with the application folders.

IN THEORY, you are 100% correct. However, I have seen this and heard of data disappearing in practice. I have yet to find a common denominator for it's cause, however the first thing I would suspect is malware as this is usually the number one reason why someone uses System Restore in the first place. They have a buggy computer, they restore it to an earlier time. Doesn't always work.

Nothing substitutes for good data back ups!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 09:15 AM

There is an .xml file in the System Restore folder that tells System Restore what to back up and what to not backup. Could this have become corrupt?

I agree with Albert Frankenstein tho' - check for malware! Try this free, online scan (takes about 20 minutes on cable/DSL and about 2-3 hours on dialup: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users