Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer constantly freezes/crashes when started normally

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 becc-lahh

becc-lahh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:48 AM

I have been warned by my internet service that my PC has a malware called "Trojan: Mebroot" and my internet will later be suspended if I do not fix it.

If my computer is started normally, after a period of time it tends to freeze/crash and sometimes even display a bluescreen. Also, if i press ctrl+printscreen+c it will also freeze my computer.

At the moment, I am still using this computer but started on "Debugging Mode" and my computer doesn't freeze (unless I try to do a screenshot). My internet supplier (OPTUS) still warns me to remove the virus otherwise they will suspend my internet.

Edited by hamluis, 01 March 2011 - 07:03 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:59 AM

Hi -
One quick question - How did Optus know of the infection -

Thank You -

#3 becc-lahh

becc-lahh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:27 PM

Optus tole me through an email:

Dear Optus Internet Customer
We have been notified on 2011-03-01 by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA www.acma.gov.au) that your computer may be compromised by malware (such as a virus/trojan).

Background

Optus Internet is a participant in the Australian Internet Security Initiative, run by the ACMA. The Initiative is aimed at identifying compromised computers (sometimes called "zombies") on the Australian Internet.

Computers can become compromised through the surreptitious installation of malicious software (malware) that enables the computer to be controlled remotely for illegal and harmful activities without the computer user's knowledge

Zombies are computers that have been infected by a computer virus or a similar intrusion, including hacking. Once infected, zombies can be used to commit online crimes remotely from anywhere in the world without the computer owner knowing. Online crimes include sending spam or hosting offensive material. Owners of the computers may also find themselves paying for bandwidth they did not know they were using.

Under the Initiative, Optus Internet receives daily lists of internet connections that are suspected of being linked to compromised computers. Your internet connection has appeared on this list.

The malware identified as the compromise on your computer is "Trojan: Mebroot".

Please take action to resolve this issue as soon as possible. We remind you that the terms of your contract require you to ensure that your use of the service does not affect other users or contravene any laws. Failure to take action to resolve this issue may lead to y our Optus Internet service being temporarily quarantined or suspended in order to protect the Optus Network and other internet users. (For more information, see the Optus Internet Acceptable Use Policy (Appendix H) at http://www.optus.com.au/standardagreements.)

What you should do

The best way to prevent your computer being infected is to use anti-virus software and a firewall, and keep security patches up-to-date. You may also wish to consider anti-spyware software with a spam filter.

If you are already using anti-virus software, we recommend you update your virus scanning software then scan your system to detect & remove any virus you may have.

If you do not have a virus scanner there are many companies which offer software that can be downloaded or trialled from the Internet. More information about viruses and virus protection can be found at our Online Safety area at:
http://www.optuszoo.com.au/help/dsl/safety/spam or at our online FAQ at:
http://www.optuszoo.com.au/help/dsl/faqs/safety

If you have the Optus Internet Security Suite and need help with your subscription number or you Security Suite account, please go to the website
http://www.optuszoo.com.au/help/securitysuite/account. If you are having problems using the product, try the Help section within the application, which can be accessed via the Help button at the bottom left hand side of the Security Suite control panel.

If you have any queries regarding this email, please contact the Optus Internet Abuse Team on abuse@optusnet.com.au.

Regards
Optus Internet Abuse Team
abuse@optusnet.com.au
http://www.optusnet.com.au

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:06 PM

Hello Mebroot does need to be properly removed.
Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users