Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet very slow

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Corvette

Corvette

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:04 AM

Hey everyone! Was wondering if someone could help me with a bit of a problem I'm having. My 4Mbps DSL is quite slow. The signal is great, and router is properly set up, but on THIS computer the internet is terrible. Downloads are usually no more than 17kb, and they stop downloading entirely after about 10 seconds. The same with YouTube videos, in order for me to keep the current video buffering, I must refresh the page.

Can someone examine my settings for me? I would be happy to provide any output needed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:20 PM

when you say the signal is great does that mean the affected computer is running wireless? Try doing an online speed test from the affected and a non-affected computer. Post the download speeds. Also if you are using wireless what is the router and the wireless card manufacturer and models.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Corvette

Corvette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:52 PM

Odd find, on Speedtest.net after the ping test (which is 165ms), it takes about 45s before the download test will even start. But anyway I'm getting 3.66 on this computer, and 3.82 on the other. I'll find out who the router is made by when my roomie gets back from vacation (3 days left, I think, but my wireless card is a Netopia, that uses Ralink drivers, we got it from Bellsouth (AT&T).

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:52 PM

The ping is a little long and the delay is not abnormal. Since the speeds are relativitly the same the issue you are having must be internal to your network. If the router is setup standard (i.e. no QOS) then more than likely the issue lies in your computer.

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big Posted Image button. Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

Posted Image

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot You will see the following prompt:

Posted Image

Click Yes , then Copy to Clipboard

Posted Image

Now, right-click on any empty space in your reply box and click Paste.

You have just posted your specs!

Mark Twain

#5 Corvette

Corvette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:34 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/fzlDdYtWDYsOVREDCk4fdpt Nifty little program! I'm keeping this installed. Thank you very much for the help, and the clear instructions. I noticed that a few things didn't show up in the report, that Speccy shows inside the program, so I'll paste them here just in case they are important.

Network
You are connected to the internet
Connected through Wireless USB Card #2
IP Address 192.168.255.220
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway server 192.168.255.1
Preferred DNS server 205.152.37.23
Alternate DNS server 205.152.132.23
DHCP Enabled
DHCP server 192.168.255.1
External IP Address xx.xx.xx.xx.xx
Adapter Type IEEE 802.11 wireless
NetBIOS over TCP/IP Enabled via DHCP
NETBIOS Node Type Hybrid node
Link Speed 0 kbps
Computer Name
NetBIOS Name ALAN-PC
DNS Name Alan-PC
Domain Name Alan-PC
Remote Desktop
Console
State Active
Domain Alan-PC
WinInet Info
LAN Connection
Local system uses a local area network to connect to the Internet
Local system has RAS to connect to the Internet
Wi-Fi Info
Wi-Fi not enabled
WinHTTPInfo
WinHTTPSessionProxyType No proxy
Session Proxy
Session Proxy Bypass
Connect Retries 5
Connect Timeout 60000
HTTP Version HTTP 1.1
Max Connects Per 1.0 Servers INFINITE
Max Connects Per Servers INFINITE
Max HTTP automatic redirects 10
Max HTTP status continue 10
Send Timeout 30000
IEProxy Auto Detect No
IEProxy Auto Config
IEProxy
IEProxy Bypass
Default Proxy Config Access Type No proxy
Default Config Proxy
Default Config Proxy Bypass
Sharing and Discovery
Adapters List
Hamachi Network Interface
IP Address x.xxx.xxx.xxx
Subnet mask 255.0.0.0
Gateway server 5.0.0.1
Wireless USB Card #2
IP Address 192.168.255.220
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway server 192.168.255.1
Anchorfree HSS Adapter
IP Address 0.0.0.0
Subnet mask 0.0.0.0
Gateway server 0.0.0.0
Network Shares

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:29 PM

Sorry for the delay. I was hoping that would give me more specific information on the wireless adapter but since it is connected via USB it cannot. Good information to have as we work through this though. Somewhere on that adapter should be written exactly what the manufacturer and model number are. It is usually on the same label as the MAC address.
Mark Twain

#7 Corvette

Corvette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:08 PM

Oh no worries at all for the delay. Here is exactly what it says on the back:

Wireless USB Card Model: TER/GUSB2-N P/N: 8960053-00-01
(FCC Info)
(Barcode)

SN: F082902TB8G23237
(Barcode)
(Mac Address)

Thanks again for the help!

#8 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:38 PM

Download the driver for you wireless adapter here :

http://broadband.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21282/session/L3NpZC91YWtERTZvaw%3D%3D/p/1181%2C1295/Topic/115/r_id/102010/sno/1

Make sure it is for the TER/GUSB2-N adapter and you choose Vista

Extract the files from the zip file somewhere easy to remember. Then go to the device manager and open the wireless adapter. Go to the driver tab and choose update driver. Point the driver wizard to the folder you extracted. Remember to use the 64 bit driver not the x86 driver.

Test and let me know.
Mark Twain

#9 Corvette

Corvette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:59 PM

I did as you instructed, and Windows says that the best driver is currently installed...etc. So I uninstalled the old driver, installed the new one, and it says this device can not start, code 10.

#10 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:32 PM

Okay........
Go here:Bell South Drivers and download the Vista 64 bit driver for the netopia 3-d Reach.

Uninstall the driver and install using the downloaded driver again. test and check back in.
Mark Twain

#11 Corvette

Corvette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:58 PM

Just as before, device can not start code 10. To be safe I rebooted, Windows installed its own driver for it.

#12 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:35 PM

One last thing to try that i can think of off. Uninstall the driver. uninstall the adapter. unplug the adapter from the system. In device manager go the USB and uninstall all of the host controllers. reboot the machine. Once the USB drivers finish loading installthe driver in the Vistax64 folder. Double click on the copyinf.exe package. When it says it isn't verified click continue anyhow. Once the driver completes loading plug in the adapter. Once the hardware is configured and an address recieved check performance and let me know.
Mark Twain

#13 Corvette

Corvette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:24 PM

Exact same error :mellow:

A friend of my suggested I try TCP Optimizer, would that be okay to use?

#14 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:50 AM

I tend to stay away from "fix all" programs as they tendto cause more problems than they fix. After talking with some of the members I have a few new ideas. Can you plug directly into the router via ethernet to check if the condition continues? That will allow us to see if it is an overall computer problem or if it is related only to the USB wireless.
Mark Twain

#15 Corvette

Corvette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:36 PM

It's a bit faster (because of the direct line I'm guessing) but problems like loading YouTube videos, downloading files...etc. are still there. For example, I tried downloading MalwareBytes just yesterday, it starts downloading, gets a few kb in and stops completely. I have to cancel the download and restart it for it to continue.

I was thinking of digging up my Ubuntu usb drive, but then again, the internet has always been slow on there for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users