Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 users UAC settings

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: UAC--On or Off? (6 member(s) have cast votes)

What UAC setting do you use?

1. Highest--Always on. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Default--Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer (2 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop) (2 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. Off (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

5. I do not like green eggs and ham I do not like them Sam I am. (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:40 PM

I'd like to get some input from Windows 7 users regarding the User Account Control (UAC) feature, whether you use it or not (and why/why not if you choose to add) and opinions on it's usefulness, effectiveness, etc. and of course, whether you find it just plain annoying.

Thanks,
Thug.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:17 AM

While I always suggest that users leave UAC settings alone, I don't follow my own advice. I set UAC to off on my systems. Needless to say I take every other precaution to insure that the system is well protected and safe. New users should certainly leave it at default, and more experienced users are safe setting it to a lower setting - but still on. An easy way to manage uac is with a simple third party app name tweakuac: http://www.tweak-uac.com/home/ .

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:54 AM

I believe that I turned it off...I tend to disable such things (relying on my luck/knowledge/responsibility) that are really designed for novice users as self-protection.

On the other hand...I still employ the same system protection measures that I have used in the past and which have worked to my satisfaction.

And...I routinely do image backups, so malware/system problems...could never be the disaster for me...that such are for many users.

Louis

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:54 PM

I leave it on, it doesn't bother me at all. :thumbup2:

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 Capt.Jack Sparrow

Capt.Jack Sparrow

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:10 PM

I would recommend to leave it at the default settings. I know lot of people are annoyed by it.
Captain_MVP
Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert(IT-Pro)

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:15 AM

I use the Notify me only when programs try to make changes... setting and use this shortcut tweak : Elevated Program Shortcut without UAC Prompt for my most commonly used programs. I barely hear a peep from UAC yet benefit from the added protection it provides without the "annoyance" of the extra mouse click. Funny how people see one extra mouseclick as "hard work" and disable UAC for this reason only.:whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users