Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 not genuine

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 p0l4k14p1

p0l4k14p1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:21 PM

the updates wont install because my windows is not genuine, i dont NOT have a pirated version of windows 7.
the key wont work for my windows after re-installation to fix my provious problems.
is there anything i can do to fix this problem without buying a new windows key? please help

Im running Windows 7 Ultimate. x86, 32 bit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:27 PM

This is the official Microsoft bulletin and 'fix' to resolve this issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2008385
Please post back if you need further assistance.

#3 p0l4k14p1

p0l4k14p1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:24 PM

Nothing on that website solves the issue

#4 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:51 PM

Open your Start Menu and type---> slui.exe 4
...then Enter to try and activate by phone. There is a space between exe and 4. I've had to reactivate my Windows 7 several times using this method and it's not that hard but it can be time consuming.

#5 p0l4k14p1

p0l4k14p1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:50 AM

Ive tried that it says i cannot open it this message pops up

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

#6 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:56 AM

Here is a diagnostic tool from Microsoft that will determine if your browser is setup correctly. IE8 is the recommended browser to use. http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

#7 p0l4k14p1

p0l4k14p1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:03 AM

Genuine Microsoft Software Diagnostic Site
Diagnostic Error Error Code More Information

What is the purpose of this site?
These diagnostic pages will help you ensure that your Internet Explorer (6.0 or later) settings are configured properly to see images, run scripts, and allow ActiveX controls to download and run.

Genuine Microsoft Software Diagnostic Results
Passed Active scripting allowed
Passed Display images enabled
Passed Computer time and date correct
Passed Cookies enabled
Passed ActiveX enabled

#8 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:29 AM

Activation incorporates the use of internet and browser settings which, if set improperly, can impede activation. You may need to contact Microsoft by phone and speak to a 'real person' and not the automated 'wench' that usually responds.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929
If you open your system drive, you should find 'slui' in the C:\Windows\system32 Folder. It should be 342 KB in size and listed as an application. If it is there and slui.exe 4 will not work on your system, you could first run SFC /Scannow to check for and repair damged system files.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html
Speaking directly with a Microsoft representative might be your only option to reactivate. Every time I change hardware, such as a different motherboard or have to reinstall the OS to a different drive configuration, I need to reactivate. A few times I needed to speak to someone on the phone. The biggest hassle was being on 'hold' for over 55 minutes on three consecutive phone calls before I finally reached a living, breathing human. The worst that can happen is that Microsoft will inform you that your product key is invalid, your software is pirated, and you should contact the vendor for a refund. The Windows 7 installation disks are not 'copy protected' and you can burn all of the copies you want, it is the Product Code/activation key that is protected and encrypted. There are more and more pirated copies of Windows 7 being found everyday. The 'pirates' found a way to bypass the Microsoft encryption and distribute this software as legitimate. Microsoft is just now finding and deactivating these illegitimate copies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users