Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infinite Boot Loop?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ashphetamine

Ashphetamine

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

Greetings!

Okay- lonnnng history here, bare with me.

I've had an XPS Gen 2 since about 2004. I purchased it as a refurb and it's been nothing but amazing ever since. I've done basic maintenance and have taken it in for checkups regularly. Its been about 2 or 3 years since I last upgraded or did anything with it, I've had no problems minus an incredible slow down over the last year or two. It also told me my battery voltage was low.

This week I've installed a new sound card, firewire card, CMOS battery, and upgraded from 4x512mb RAM to 2x512mb & 2x1gb RAM. in that order.

On saturday, I installed the new sound card & firewire and it booted fine the first time. Everything installed fine and everything worked properly. I was doing some regular maintenance by cleaning out my startup programs [removing the obnoxious stuff like Weather Channel and MSN Messenger, the usual crud that slows down any startup]

It required a system reboot, and when I rebooted it installed 10 new windows updates. Strange enough, all of these updates [when checked via safe mode] were all for Win Security.

Since these were installed it will no longer boot properly. It will boot in safe mode with and without networking just fine- however, when i try to boot in regular windows it just sits at the Windows logo with the loading bar- infinitely. I could leave it do this over night and it will not stop until I hard boot the computer. I've checked all boot settings, they are all set to default [which has always been the same and has never changed anytime since 2004]

At one point, i managed to make a change in safe mode [I believe it may have been via the virus scans with Malwarebytes or "RegFix" i have on my desktop that I use to recover from viruses] that allowed it to boot up in regular mode again- but once again, when it loaded my account in regular mode, it demanded i restart the computer- and when i did, it installed another 10 updates [same ten I believe]
Now Im back to not being able to boot into regular windows without safe mode.

Any ideas on how to stop this ridiculous infinite loop? I've pretty much filtered out that any of the new hardware is the problem- unless its related to these windows updates somehow conflicting.

Edited by hamluis, 01 March 2011 - 07:36 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:50 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
Hi and welcome -
Was the M/soft link above the one you used to run the "RegFix" that you mention, or is it another program -
I only have 8 Security Updates listed for this year , unless you have removed all past updates and needed to install older ones also -

Thank You -

#3 Ashphetamine

Ashphetamine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:35 AM

Im not sure that it is that file- the file i have is used like an exe [however, it is not an exe. its icon is that of something like a rubix cube? green with a few blocks missing?], i do know however that I downloaded it from this site! Im unsure of why it keeps reinstalling these security updates- I've never uninstalled any updates that Windows has put in place, so its strange that it keeps reinstalling them everytime i reboot the computer.

Edited by Ashphetamine, 01 March 2011 - 12:36 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:35 AM

Using a program like RegFix...is a step backwards.

<<Strange enough, all of these updates [when checked via safe mode] were all for Win Security>>

That...appears to be a rogue malware program, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-windows-security-suite .

I'm moving this to Am I Infected.

Louis

#5 Ashphetamine

Ashphetamine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:01 PM

I removed 2 malicious programs with the "malwarebytes" and it recommended I use the tool. that was the ONLY time it would boot normally.

what should I do now?

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

Please read the following item and repost in the Highlighted area if there are still items you want an expert to review your problem - Directions are at the top of the forum area -
One of the most common questions people have is whether or not they are infected and then how they should go about fixing it. This forum is designed to let you ask these questions and discuss various malware (spyware, viruses, adware, trojans, worms, backdoors, and hijackers). Do you just want to rant and rave about the people who make these programs? Then go ahead...just keep it clean!

On a last note, this forum is not to be used to post malware logs. All malware logs should be posted in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users