Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition-based system recovery program

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 habu69

habu69

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:10 PM

Windows XP home on a HP tower, I ran the Partition-based system recovery program. It almost doubled the space on my hard drive, before running the program I was 45% used and 55%free. After running the program I have 75%used and 25% free. Also the program deleated half of my anti virus system, I tried to re-load it and it said it could not install on any system older than win XP sp2, so I assumed it had removed part of my XP, tried to get updates from MS , it started and ran for about two minutes then stopped, let it run for four hours this am, it continued to just say that it was checking my machine for the latest update software. Tried to reload my camera and printer software and it says files missing, but they are on the cd for the items. Tried to reformat the c drive by right click the drive in my computer menue and it says it cannot format that drive. Is there any way to clean it off and start from scratch. The O S is partitioned on the hard drive. Thanks in advance for any help.Al

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:35 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

When you run the HP system recovery there is an option to do a factory reload that will wipe out the drive and reinstall everything fresh. Sometimes it is phrased differently so pay attention to the screens when you start the recovery.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 habu69

habu69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:08 PM

Thanks EYESEE, that is what I wanted to find. When I went in to the recovery it didn't give me a choice it just went in to non-distructive mode. My documentation says to hit F10 on start up and thats what I did, later looking thru the " all programs"I found a recovery system. Think I'll try that one.

#4 habu69

habu69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:22 PM

Mission accomplished, I want to thank you-all for the help. Got it done by using safe mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users