Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop problem laundry list

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

a'ight, let's start rattling things off here on this poor vista lappy.

• one USB port cannot recognise devices; it feeds power but windows can't get anywhere with whatever's plugged into it.
    sometimes the port next to that one goes daft.
  • optical drive doesn't work in windows, probably wouldn't work in a windows installer setting either; it had to be disabled in device manager on one of the instances where the OS could tell it was there, because leaving it enabled made the machine take forever to view the HDD for some reason, to say nothing of the whole "using the drive, using the drive, DRIVE? WHAT DRIVE?" madness that was going on.
  • lights associated with the volume control touch-sensor thingy are out. at one point they came back, but haven't been seen in months.
  • mute button touch thinger sometimes doesn't work. it's light will change colors if you mute/unmute in windows' volume control thing, but not from being touched.
  • for some reason, once it starts "using" an external HDD it never realizes it isn't, and then if the external drive is disconnected or the USB port goes momentarily dumb, windows spazzes out and only will register the device in device manager and "safely remove hardware"; no other functionality is available, and it's not the external freaking out, the system simply won't add the drive to explorer/any program looking at drives/etc.
  • and then the big one: the machine has become increasingly unwilling to boot up. it will get through performing the POST, and then as it starts to load vista, it just plain stops. the splash thing doesn't finish fading in, much less move, and the machine sits there looking useless. if you force it off, it will acknowledge windows didn't finish booting and bring up that menu quickly, but 19 times out of 20, it won't get into any sort of windows whether you tell it to do startup repair or start normally. *on the off chance it DOES boot into windows, it runs mostly normally aside from the above mentioned issue.

so yeah. think this HP Dv9000 series laptop is biting the dust?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:53 PM

so yeah. think this HP Dv9000 series laptop is biting the dust?

It is possible, but then again before I say that is the final conclusion, we need to look at a few things here first.

What do you consider your laptop computer repair experience level?

I am asking this question, so I can understand your level of knowledge and experience before I offer any real hard to understand suggestions or solutions.

Laptop computers are not as easy to repair or troubleshoot as the average desktop computer is.

The Dv9000 series is just that, a series, there are several model numbers under this series, I would like to look up some technical information on your laptop, but in order for me to be 100% accurate, I need to know what laptop of the series this laptop is, so please post back the full model number.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:00 PM

Best bet, flip the laptop over and there should be a white sticker that says DV9_________ and fill in the blank for MrBruce1959 above.

#4 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:35 PM

honestly, I have no specific experience with laptop repair; I'm trying to determine if it's likely a replacement is in order.
someone suggested at me to try ditching vista, but I dunno.

the sticker on the bottom says DV9000. HP system info says DV9700.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:10 AM

Please check this link below and confirm that this is your HP notebook PC.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3636841&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us&submit=Go%20»

Once this has been confirmed, I can start offering you accurate advice and suggestions.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:40 AM

system information/hp system info identifies the machine simply as HP Dv9700 Notebook PC. it was a refurb sold by tigerdirect, but hells if I'd know how to find it on their site since I think they're not selling it anymore. as far as I know it's not a "custom to order" model, but I may be lacking in knowledge. the product number HP system info gives me is FE694UAR#AB, which doesn't get me anything useful out of HP or google.

#7 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:12 PM

... the product number HP system info gives me is FE694UAR#AB

Got it Pavilion DV9910us

if it was a referb, that may explain the difficulty nailing down the exact model if they mixed parts somewhere along the line.

Edited by Crazy49er, 01 March 2011 - 02:14 PM.

#8 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:12 PM

yeah. now that I had a chance to dig up the shipping box, that's what it's box declares it.

they just mixed all sorts of stuff didn't they? casing says DV9000, system claims 9700, packaging declares 9910us...

#9 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:29 PM

yeah. now that I had a chance to dig up the shipping box, that's what it's box declares it.

they just mixed all sorts of stuff didn't they? casing says DV9000, system claims 9700, packaging declares 9910us...

Well the "HP" and "DV9000" is just the brand and make ... kind of like saying "Ford" and "Explorer" ... the numbers after are the specific information that will tell us what parts / software / firmware (Should) have been in it.

#10 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:51 AM

so now that we've figured out and confirmed what it is...

mr.bruce? you get lost or some such?

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:02 PM

so now that we've figured out and confirmed what it is...

mr.bruce? you get lost or some such?

Just confirming with you that I was away from the computer for a few days helping a friend move to a new apartment, so I am back and will be checking out your system information.

Once I am done I will see if I can offer you some suggestions.

Bruce.

#12 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:45 PM

ak, 'k. don't mind my paranoia with people. comes with the brain chemistry.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:48 AM

Here is a few links that may help you with diagnosing problems with this laptop.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/fix-video-failure-hp-pavilion-dv2000-dv6000-dv9000-notebooks/

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/how-to-replace-broken-left-hinge-in-hp-pavilion-dv9000/

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/remove-lcd-screen-inverter-board-hp-pavilion-dv9000-laptop/

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/remove-hard-drive-memory-wireless-card-keyboard-hp-pavilion-dv9000/

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/repair-replace-broken-hinges-hp-pavilion-dv9000-notebook/

The web site I have listed many links from is a very good source of information for various laptop brands and model numbers, you may want to look through this site for other information.

The reason I have pointed you to this site is it has resources that can be helpful for diagnosing internal problems with laptop computers.

If devices built into a laptop stop working, there could be either a problem with the device or the connection between the device and the main-board.

Laptops suffer the most abuse, from being dropped or mishandled in some way.
Connections can come loose inside the laptop, or suffer from issues caused by oxidation.

One of the corrective measures would be to actually open the laptop and carefully disconnect the various wires from their sockets and plug them back in again.

This is not as easy as it sounds when you have never attempted this before, but if you use extreme caution so as not to damage anything and pay close attention to where any wires you unplug go back exactly where they came from, you should be able to accomplish this successfully.

If a device has failed because it is worn out, there isn't much you can do other than replacing it with a new component.

If lights worked but do not work anymore they may need to be replaced, although most are LED types and do not burn out like light bulbs do, some do go bad and may need to be replaced.

As for having Windows Vista on the laptop, I can not see why having Vista on the laptop would be a problem, the OS might have been full of issues with its original release, but service packs have resolved many of those issues, it is just a matter of having the latest service pack installed.

Although this laptop's support pages list Windows XP and Windows Vista, I see no reason why Windows 7 32 Bit can not be installed on this laptop and run with decent performance.

Here is a link to the HP web site for the HP Pavilion dv9910us Entertainment Notebook PC

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3740565

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 05 March 2011 - 12:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users