Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java 6 Update 20 (64-bit) & Update 23

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BlueSapphire

BlueSapphire

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:19 PM

Hello,

My 64-bit Windows 7 Pro computer is only a few months old. I notice that I've already got Java 6 Update 20 (64-bit) and Java 6 Update 23.

Are these two versions of Java independent of each other? Is it safe to uninstall Update 20 (I've got JavaRa - an old version uninstall tool)? Why doesn't Update 23 specify it's 64-bit?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:01 PM

Java update 24 is the latest. If you don't have that, go to control panel and click on the Java cup to open. Choose update, then update now.
During the update to 24, 23 will be uninstalled.
Check in the add/ remove programs list and if any earlier versions are still there, double click on them to uninstall.

Java will now delete the latest old version after installing the newest. If you skip one or more updates it will not remove the old version(s).

Edited by buddy215, 28 February 2011 - 08:04 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 BlueSapphire

BlueSapphire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:11 PM

My Java Control Panel doesn't include an option to update. The tabs are >General, >Java, >Security, and >Advanced. None of these has an update option. Is there another way to perform the update?

A minor question is: when I click on the >Java tab, my only option is to "View and manage Java Runtime versions and settings for Java applications and applets." When I select this, I see that the only installed Java Runtime version is 1.6.0_20 (for both User and System). Why doesn't Update 23 show up?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:49 PM

The link below is to a screenshot of what I see when right clicking on the Java icon on desktop. As you can
see mine has the update tab in the Java Control Panel and in the window that opens when right clicking you
can see it is updated to 24. JavaControlPanel.png (PNG Image, 800x601 pixels)
That is a screenshot on my Win 7 home premium 32 bit.

Link to downloads and links to instructions on installing new download and uninstalling old versions:
Java Downloads for All Operating Systems

Also, do a scan with Secunia online scanner to find missing security updates for your most vulnerable programs.
It uses a Java applet.
OSI - Consumer - Products (online scanner)

EDIT: Have you installed SP 1? I did and noticed 2 minor glitches. One with Zone Alarm Firewall that I fixed by
simply uninstalling and reinstalling.

There is no reason to rush to install SP1 and if you haven't, suggest you get Java updated to latest before doing that.
One site that is tracking problems with SP1 is Internet Storm Center Diary 2011-02-24

Edited by buddy215, 02 March 2011 - 09:59 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 BlueSapphire

BlueSapphire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:16 PM

The link to the Java update page was perfect. I installed the newest version, then followed the instructions to uninstall Update 20 (which according to the Java page shouldn't even have been there because Java updates now uninstall older versions).

I remember back in the old days when you'd end up with multiple versions of Java, each taking up a bunch of space on the hard drive. That's why I had the old version removal tool, which I guess is now obsolete. It didn't used to be as easy as going to Add/Delete Programs (or Programs and Features in Windows 7) and selecting Uninstall...

Thanks for your help, Buddy!

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:04 PM

As I said in my first post.....Java will only remove the version immediately prior to the new one. If you skip updating to a new version,
it will not remove the older ones. That's how Java works now.
You are welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users