Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Controller issue?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RalphMcT

RalphMcT

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:08 PM

Having an issue with my hard drive freezing up, at the moment I can't get the PC to boot up at all but sometimes it will boot and then freeze with the hard drive light on solid.

First thing i tried was running Seatools Dos (long test) which the drive passed.
Second I swapped the sata cable and changed from port 1 to 3 on the board.
Thirdly i tried wiping the drive and a clean installation of Ubuntu 10.10.
Last I replaced the drive with another i had hanging around (also passed seatools dos long test) and did another clean install of ubuntu 10.10

Nothing has had any effect on the problem, at the moment i'm running the test version of Ubuntu from the CD with no problems, when I try to boot to the installed version i get an error message
[6084,527969] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 534124
the numbers at the beginning and end of the error message change but the body of it is the same everytime.

System is running on an Asus P5N-D motherboard, with Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300@2.50GHz processor and 4Gb of DDR2 ram (I can give you the other system specs if there of any use)

Can anyone suggest anything else I can try before having the motherboard replaced (I'll do most repairs myself but i don't like messing with processors)

Thanks in Advance
Ralph

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:09 PM

Is there any way you can get hold of an IDE drive to try an install on? If the fault symptom ceases, we could assume the cause is the SATA controller.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 RalphMcT

RalphMcT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:17 PM

Cheers for the reply Platypus,
not sure if i've got any old ide drives hanging around, i'll have a search about in the morning and post the results.

#4 RalphMcT

RalphMcT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:16 AM

After much digging about i found an old system in the loft with an IDE drive in it. Have installed ubuntu on it and all well at the moment. Going to try putting it through its paces for a few hours see if the problem occurs. But hopefully its pin pointed the problem. Just didn't want to splash out on a new motherboard and fitting then find out it was something else.

#5 RalphMcT

RalphMcT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:35 PM

Been messing around on the PC all night with the IDE drive installed with no problems. So I guess the issue is with the SATA controllers on the board. I'll take it into the shop when I get chance and get a new Motherboard fitted unless anyone else has a suggestion in the meantime. I'll post when I get it back and let you know if it solved the issue.

Thanks again for the reply Platypus.
Ralph

#6 RalphMcT

RalphMcT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:02 AM

Finaly got chance to get to the shop for a new board and get it fitted. It seems to have sorted the problem. Thanks again for the help platypus.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:14 AM

You're welcome!

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users