Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rebuilding Raid 1 Array - XP 64, MSI 785GTM-E45

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 barnacle brad

barnacle brad

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

Hello, I am looking for some expertise regarding the migration (proper terminology?) of my raid 1 array to a new mother board after the previous one tatered on me.

I did a little research before I purchased the replacement mobo and found that the migration would be possible or at least more likely by staying within similar chip architecture - in this case the former board was MSI with AMD SB700 chipset and the new one is also MSI with AMD SB710 chipset.

Where I am in the process - or to be specific about what I have done to this point, is have installed the mobo and required hardware with only one hard drive connected. RAID was not enabled in the bios and the hard drive booted with no issues. All required drivers have been installed to support the mobo and integrated peripherals.

Hardware as follows:
OLD MSI MBOX K9A2GM-F AMD Phenom / Athlon 64 X2 / Sempron AMD Socket AM2+ / AM2 AMD 740G ATI Radeon 2100 Barebone

NEW MSI 785GTM-E45 AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2C 64-bit for System Builders - OEM

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200 Brisbane 2.7GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor ADO5200DOBOX

SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - OEM

Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2/2GR

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive X2

Need recommendation for proceeding.

Thanks in advance,

Brad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:12 PM

First thing is backup your data before you do anything. Usually replacing motherboards without a clean install concerns me but since it is from the same chipset line and everything else remains the same you should be alright.

Since it was a mirrored set and everything is running fine I would just recreate the mirror. Install the RAID driver from the CD that came with the motherboard. The restart the computer and enter the BIOS. Enable the RAID. Then create your Mirror again using the RAID utility. It really should be no different than breaking and re-creating a mirror which is in essence what you will be doing.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users