Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's the 2011 equivalent of a 2004 Pentium 4 2.8 GHz?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ran-K

Ran-K

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:56 PM

I got a Dell with a 2.8 Ghz HT processor (northwood) in 2004, and it's been working fine until today.

What would be the equivalent right now in 2011, in terms of power and performance? A Sandy Bridge core i5 or i3 or i7?

Just to be clear I'm not asking which processor is exactly like the P4, I'm asking which one would be the modern day equivalent of what the 2.8Ghz HT P4 used to be in 2004.

Edited by hamluis, 01 March 2011 - 03:47 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to System Building.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:27 PM

I would like to say the 3.06mhz I7 950, but i think one of the I5 lines is a closer match, but FYI, for the 300$ price tag, you cant beat the 950..imo anyways
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:27 PM

To be honest...I don't think anyone can make that type of comparison.

The status of technological development/innovation for the two time periods...is not the same, cannot be the same.

There will be many more changes in 2011-2012...than probably occurred 2000-2005, IMO.

I don't think technological development in computing amends itself to "then vs now" comparisons...because change seems to breed constant change now, whereas that wasn't necessarily true when looking at prior periods.

Louis

#4 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:09 PM

Are you looking at laptops or desktops? As for processors the current trend for most laptops are Dual or Triple core processors. Some even with Quad core. What that means is your standard P4 back in the day had 1 brain or 1 processor that was tweaked and revved up and supercharged to make it faster. But it still only had 1 core to work with and perform functions. Today rather instead of one large chip they're making one chip with several brains Dual (2) Triple (3) Quad (4) and the multi-cores (6 and up)

So in the end I wouldn't worry too much, you'll see a vast improvement in performance whichever way you go. Just plan ahead a bit... what kind of computer are you looking for laptop/desktop .. are you looking for gaming (Triple-Quad-And up), basic office/business (Dual-Triple), or just run of the mill internet use (Dual).

Once you figure that out you can take more of a stab at where you want to be looking.

#5 Ran-K

Ran-K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:24 AM

Are you looking at laptops or desktops? As for processors the current trend for most laptops are Dual or Triple core processors. Some even with Quad core. What that means is your standard P4 back in the day had 1 brain or 1 processor that was tweaked and revved up and supercharged to make it faster. But it still only had 1 core to work with and perform functions. Today rather instead of one large chip they're making one chip with several brains Dual (2) Triple (3) Quad (4) and the multi-cores (6 and up)

So in the end I wouldn't worry too much, you'll see a vast improvement in performance whichever way you go. Just plan ahead a bit... what kind of computer are you looking for laptop/desktop .. are you looking for gaming (Triple-Quad-And up), basic office/business (Dual-Triple), or just run of the mill internet use (Dual).

Once you figure that out you can take more of a stab at where you want to be looking.

Desktop, for some gaming, lots of video editing and also the usual browsing/coding/etc. And yeah I know that :D The thing is I want one that'll perform as well as this one did for so long.

Edited by Ran-K, 01 March 2011 - 08:25 AM.

#6 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:02 PM

Desktop, for some gaming, lots of video editing and also the usual browsing/coding/etc. And yeah I know that :D The thing is I want one that'll perform as well as this one did for so long.

Quad Core or better, I'd shoot for something at least 2.8ghz or higher. Intel Core i7 or AMD Phenom II X4 and then simply pick your flavor depending on if you're building your own system or what comes with the pre-made machine you're buying.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:10 PM

To add onto what hamluis and Crazy49er have said, you would do fine with most quad core CPU's, but you may also see an advantage with a Phenom II X6 CPU if your video editing program can use all of the cores. PC performance is not entirely dependent on the CPU, however.

3939.png

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:52 PM

If you're going to be doing a lot of video editing, I would definitely second DJBPace07's recommendation of a Phenom II X6.
This was my system usage when encoding a movie with DVDShrink:

Posted Image

You can see that the RAM doesn't take much of a hit, but my X4 3.2GHz is definitely getting a workout. :)
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:55 PM

If you're going to be doing a lot of video editing, I would definitely second DJBPace07's recommendation of a Phenom II X6.
This was my system usage when encoding a movie with DVDShrink:

Posted Image

You can see that the RAM doesn't take much of a hit, but my X4 3.2GHz is definitely getting a workout. :)

Your processor runs pretty damn cool.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:00 AM

That's hot.
It's running at 33°C, right now. :)
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:04 PM

...and I'll add my obligatory comment that I believe you get more bang-for-buck by not thinking "Intel" :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2011 - 02:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users