Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop to PC connexion without internet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jnewell

jnewell

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

I have a desktop PC which is connected to a router and the internet. I want to be able to access this PC remotely from my laptop WITHOUT using the internet. So not via something like 'Go to my PC' or Logmein.com), just via a dialup PSTN analog telephone line. I want to run remote desktop over this link. I know it will be slow, but I'm prepared to accept that limitation.

The reason I want to do this is because I travel quite often to places with no wireless access or BroadBand access, but with telephone lines. I don't want to get involved with a dial up service providers, even if it is a free ISP.

Both the laptop and PC have dialup modems.

Any ideas how I can achieve this, please. I'm sure it must be possible even if not the most elegant solution.

John N.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jnewell

jnewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:21 PM

I see there's been a few views but no responses on this one, Someone out there must know how to make a dial up connection between 2 PC's. I guess doing that is the first step to what I want to achieve. Can anyone help please? In the old days computer to computer dial up was quite common, so must be technically possible. Thanks.

#3 MBakerNH

MBakerNH

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

Well, first, what are the OSes, exactly, on the host machine (desktop, I'm assuming) and remote machine (laptop?) XP Home 32 bit? Windows 7 Professional 64 bit?

#4 jnewell

jnewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:28 AM

Hi there, The operating system on both machines is Windows XP Professional service pack 3. The host machine is a desktop, the intended 'travelling' machine is a laptop. Both have modems installed. Hope this is Ok to help you help[ me. Thanks.

#5 MBakerNH

MBakerNH

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:33 AM

Well, to start off, you need a password protected admin account on both machines. On the host machine, go to Start, Control Panel, Windows Firewall and click on the Exceptions tab. Make sure Remote Desktop is checked. Then go to Start, Control Panel, System, and on the Remote tab, choose, "Allow Users to Connect remotely" or some such.

You want to then set up your machine to accept incoming calls. Follow these instructions here.

On the remote machine, you'll do pretty much the same thing; create a new connection in network properties, choose "Connect to the network at my workplace," choose accept calls, and then choose dialup connection, putting in the phone number of the host PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users