Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't I just use device manager to disable old onboard graphics?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 skymaster191

skymaster191

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:10 PM

I'm getting ready to install an XFX Radeon 5670 graphics card in my home built PC. It will replace the onboard graphics card. The installation guide says go in BIOS or use jumper switches to disable the old onboard video.

I would rather not mess with with jumpers or BIOS. When I did this in the past, I just went into the OS device manager and disabled it there. Is this not sufficient?

Thanks,
Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raybob

raybob

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:51 PM

sounds suficient to me, but I'm not an expert:(

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:25 PM

It depends on how the onboard video is designed. A few like Intel 810 can't be turned off and you have to disable from Device Manager. But it does relinquish Primary Adapter status to the alternative video card. Some designs may not do this, so if you don't turn them off in the BIOS, or change the Primary Adapter designation, the POST screen can still be sent to the onboard card, so the computer screen will be blank until Windows boots, and no POST prompts or error messages will appear. But the main reason for disabling the onboard in the BIOS is to claim back system memory it would otherwise be allocated. That's part of the reason to move from onboard graphics, if you miss out on reclaiming its RAM usage you'll miss out on that part of the performance enhancement you're seeking.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:24 PM

It's usually best to disable the on-board graphics using the BIOS, if possible. In most BIOS' there is usually an option that says something like "Onboard Video {ENABLE/DISABLE}." Just change turn it off and you're set. If you never plan on using it again, remove then reinstall the drivers to make sure it is gone for good.

3939.png

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:18 AM

Which motherboard do you currently have?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:00 AM

My motherboard is:

ASUS M4A78LT-M-LE AM3 AMD 780L Micro-ATX. The onboard graphics is ATI Radeon 3000. I am replacing that with a stand-alone ATI Radeon 5670.

Edited by skymaster191, 01 March 2011 - 09:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users