Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Rj-45 Lan connector and the Network card speed

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:03 AM

Hello,

I have a question about Rj-45 Lan connector and a Network card.
I have Cable Internet and the speed what must be, is 25mb per seconds.
I have not a Network card in the pc., I have only a Rj-45 Lan connector, so I make a connection via an Ethernet cable when I go online.
The maximum speed what I get via my Ethernet cable is about 20 mbps, then 15 and then 16, but 25mbps is not what I get.
Now is my question, the fact that I get not the promised speed from my Cable provider, is this, that I have not a Network card or ............ .?
Also want I know, when I buy a Network card, which one must I buying.? Must I buy a Network card for wireless or is it better, that I buy a Wired Network card and later when I say, now want I make connection via a wireless connection, I put in a second Network card; so 1. for wired and the 2. for wireless.? Or make I now a mistake and get you possible a conflict when you to do that.?. If that so, what must I to do in that case.?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:05 PM

The Lan connector is a network card that is built on to the motherboard. Remember that the speed of you downloads will vary based on the speed of the connection from the site you are accessing. While you may be getting the full 25Mbps from your service provider iif the site is only capable of 12Mbps AND you are the only person accessing it your max speed would be 12Mbps. If there are other people accesing the site your speed will fall as the bandwidth is split/shared amongst the various connections. Try doing a speed test at www.speedtest.com to see how that matches up to your ISP's 25Mbps claim. If it falls way short of the 25 Mbps claim call your ISP and ask them to check your connection.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:24 PM

Also, keep in mind that the "25mbps" is the MAX speed you should get. When more people are on in your local area, it's not uncommon for cable internet to drop by 10mbps or so (therefor I wouldn't worry about a 15-20mbps afternoon speed). Of course if it drops to 1-2mbps, then you DO have a problem.

As already stated a LAN Connector is basically the same as a network card.

Edited by NpaMA, 28 February 2011 - 10:24 PM.

#4 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:04 AM

The Lan connector is a network card that is built on to the motherboard.

As already stated a LAN Connector is basically the same as a network card.

Dear Baltboy and NpaMA,

Thank you for your explain.
Now my explain about my question of Network card and Rj-45 Lan connector:

I did ask my question, because, a sales man or woman letting me know, that an Rj-45 Lan connector is not the same as a Network card.
I did suppose that when someone asks a question at a Sales man or woman from a computer shop, that he or she does know, were he or she over talking.
But I see now that it is not true.
Why did I asking a question at the Computer shop? Well, I saw a Motherboard with 3 Pci-E slides and 3 regular Pci; 1 of the 3 Pci-E slide is a Hybride (in English is that Hybrid) slide: I suppose that a Hybride slide is a slide were you can see the inside from the Pci-E slide.
I did asking or the Motherboard has an Rj-45 Lan connector; in the description of the Motherboard on their site, there was nothing over the Rj-45 Lan connector, so this was the reason that I asking questions at them.
What I do know and maybe is that unexperienced from me, have not all Motherboards an Rj-45 Lan connector and must you buying a Network card apart.

I asking at the Sales man or woman how big the reach is and I got the answer, it is just big if the Ethernet cable is.
I asking again, what do you mean, I don't understand your information.
Then got I the answer, an Rj-45 Lan connector is not a Network card.
If you can seen is it confused when you read some messages from the Sale men\women.
Okay the Rj-45 Lan connector is the same as a Network card, I keep your information in my mind.
What I can say is: The fact that an Rj-45 Lan connector is the same as a Network card, that saved me a lot of money.
Of course is the Network card not so expansive, but it is pity when you buy something, meanwhile it is not necessary.
I hope that when I have further questions, that I may ask this.?

Thank you again for your help.

Ps. I will testing the speed out, Baltboy

Edited by RadioNorthsea, 01 March 2011 - 06:44 AM.

#5 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:44 PM

Well to clarify more:

the LAN is the same as a wired network card. - You still connect the same ethernet (CAT-5/6) cable to it for your internet to work

a wireless network card doesn't require a cable but requires you to purchase a wireless router to operate.

Maybe they were trying to sell you a wireless network card/router combo or something.

#6 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:42 AM

Thank you NpaMA for the information.

a wireless network card doesn't require a cable but requires you to purchase a wireless router to operate.

I know that and I am thinking now: Is it not smart from me, when I buy the new mobo with my wishes, that I buy also a wireless network card or do I that later if I say, now want I wireless network connection.
Network cards are not so expansive, I belief that I told this in an earlier posting. Okay this is a choice what I must make, for another is it difficult with give advice what I must to do.

Maybe they were trying to sell you a wireless network card/router combo or something.

I think that this is possible. We live in a period that companies want more money: Credit Crisis, so what you said, could be.

the LAN is the same as a wired network card. - You still connect the same ethernet (CAT-5/6) cable to it for your internet to work

Okay, but now is my question: The Rj-45 Lan connector also known as built-in Network card, is that standard in motherboards or did I had right in my post before this, and are there also motherboards without Rj-45 Lan connectors.?
My thinking is on based that you can buy wired Network cards, if all motherboards have a built-in Network card, than you can't buy wired Network cards.

In my post from 1 march 2011 12.04 pm did I said what I thought:

remarkable from R.N.I. : What I do know and maybe is that unexperienced from me, have not all Motherboards an Rj-45 Lan connector and must you buying a Network card apart.

This is a thought from me what I said, but it could be that my thinking is a good thing with this.

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:40 PM

The RJ45 connector that is built onto the motherboard is usually referd to as either an onboard(or built-in) network card. Most if not all motherboards today come with one or more ports onboard. Theoretically you could fill every expansion slot on your motherboard with add-in wired cards without a problem even if you don't need that many. The onboard ports are just for convience and so you don't have to waste an expansion slot to add network capabilities.

As far as the wireless goes don't waste your money until you intend on using wireless yourself.
Mark Twain

#8 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:17 AM

Thanks for the information.
I think that only the old Motherboards: PCI, have standard no built-in Network card.
The PCI-E Motherboards have that.
I must saying, that I get now more view on that sort electronically parts, through I looking for the best and there are companies they give a good information, when I read that the Mobo has gb\lan on board, than has it an Rj-45 Lan connector.
But I must say, that I am glad that I can ask questions about the components, because I know sure that my thinking about the components is right.
My opinion in this is: It is better for ask questions and you get good answers from people, than only thinking and when you bought, that you seen, your thinking was wrong.

#9 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:06 AM

I want know the next: When a Motherboard has a built-in Lan connector and you buy a wireless network card and place this in the PCI-slice, can you than still working with wire or take the wireless network card the network system over.?

#10 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:48 AM

You can use either connection without one interrupting the other
Mark Twain

#11 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:08 PM

Thank you Baltboy for the information.

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:46 PM

Remember that high speed cable modems are a shared bandwidth. If there are several people around you that have high speed internet you share the total available bandwidth with them. The more people on the internet the slower the connection will get. The only way around this is DSL. The draw back to DSL is its over standard phone lines and the speeds are not as fast as Cable (even if you are sharing the cable with other people). Also depending on how far you are from the Node or the switch your speeds can be affected. You can test your speeds at Speedtest.net. I have 10mbps service and currently I'm getting 6mbps since its peek time (there are at least 20 people I am sharing with).

Edited by Sneakycyber, 03 April 2011 - 08:47 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#13 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:01 AM

Thank you for your information Sneakycyber.
At this moment use I cable connection and indeed, sometimes have I 25 mb\s and the other time is my connection slower.
You told that when the user use an Ethernet connection cable, that the user must share that connection when there are more people on the line.
That is true, but I heard not so long time ago, that when you use wireless connection, there are sometimes also slow connection.
All those providers and all Internet companies or Phone company has things were we saying: Where is that for needed.
I did ask my question between wire and wireless, because I was curious what will be happening if you have Lan onboard and you use a wireless card.
At this moment have I not wireless, I make connection via Ethernet cable, but it is important for me that I do some things know, so that I do know were I stay with some things.

#14 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:29 AM

Wireless can be slightly slower then Ethernet because of transmission fluctuations but this only effects high bandwidth applications such as gaming consoles, online gaming, and streaming video. The shared bandwidth I referred to effects cable modems not ethernet. Ethernet is how you connect your computer to your modem or router. Ethernet speeds are 10mbps, 100mbps and 1000mbps (gigabit). If you install a wireless card it will not affect the Ethernet already installed aside from it not being used. Also even though you have both installed using them both at.the same time does not.speed up your connection.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#15 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:30 AM

Thank you for the information, Sneakycyber.
What you told, you have absolute right, but my usage is, calling Ethernet.
You have right what I did said: For make connection with Internet, must people have a Modem or a Router. About the Modems and Router there can people make also a discussion: The other call a Router a Modem and the other say, no it is not a Modem, because, a Router and a Modem are two different objects.
Well, I say, a Router is just as a Modem with the next note: A Router is more than a Modem.
Via a Router can you make Telephone calls and you can make connection with Internet via the Ether.
But I have the nasty usage that I call the cable between the pc. and Router, Ethernet cable and when I make connection with Internet than I say, I doing that via the Ethernet cable.
I belief that is not worse, but I belief that I also must say, I doing that via the Ethernet cable what is between the Router and the pc.
I belief too, that the name Ethernet cable is not the right name.
But I do not know the real name, maybe is the right name of the Ethernet cable, RJ-45 cable, if I said, I don't know.

Add on 4 April 2011 time stamp: 19.48h.

I was this forgotten, but what I want tell is this:

Speedtest.net. what you did give, I have this.
Yesterday had I downloaded SIW; nice program and the function for test your speed, is built in that program.

Edited by RadioNorthsea, 04 April 2011 - 12:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users