Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software Licensing Service not Starting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 techmeister

techmeister

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:50 AM

I have an Acer Travelmate that is running Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit with Service Pack 2. It was functioning correctly until the last windows update. Now when it starts it seems as though everything is functioning but upon further working with the computer I see that Windows Update is erroring out with the code 80070426. I looked into this and was directed to look at the services and found that the Software Licensing Service is not running. I try to start it and it says the file is missing. I double checked and the file slsvc.exe is actually there. I also noticed that the computer information is telling me that the copy of windows is not activated. So I click on Activate it and I get the same error as the Update. Once again searching leads me to the Software Licensing Service. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. I have run Malwarebyte and no infected objects were found. Also ran the Microsoft One Care online scanner and the Microtrend Housecall scanner and nothing was found.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:47 AM

you say that slsvc.exe is actually there, but check it's "properties" and make sure it's the same size as mine, as it may have been corrupted, if it's not the same size, try running the sfc /scannow , it may repair it....

good luck

Attached Files

Edited by keny111111, 02 March 2011 - 07:47 AM.

Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 techmeister

techmeister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:58 AM

It is the same. I think it has something to do with permission. I try to launch it from the cmd prompt as an elevated administrator and get error code 2. The computer itself seems to run fine, I can install software and run software, I just can't update windows, every three or four boots it tells me that windows has not been authenticated but still functions ok. I ran the WGA Diag and it says my windows is genuine but the software licensing is not running. Since it was preloaded at Acer I don't have the vista home basic cd to try a repair install. My restore system only shows one restore point with no option to check the older than five days option. I am at a lost. Malwarebytes doesn't find anything. I am not sure what to check next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users